2000 Explorer

I have a 2000 Ford Explorer, and am having some troubles shifting from first to second, and second to third. The problem only occurs after a few minutes of driving. After the car has warmed up, it shifts hard from first to second and even harder from second to third. If I stop my car, lets say at at a grocery store for ten minutes, it will shift normal again when I drive off (again, only for a few minutes.)

Anyone have a clue what's going on?

Reply to
akasoul

Possibly some sticking solenoids in the valve body causing to not fill the clutch packs quick enough? How many miles you got on this thing? Some more info would be helpful. Are we lookin at a 2WD, 4WD, or AWD explorer?

I would start by checking your fluid level in the tranny, and looking at its color. It should be a nice warm reddish pink color. Sounds like its possible you dont have enough fluid and the torque converter is running low.

You could try disconnecting the negative battery cable for a few minutes to reset the computers onboard. That will erase all of the adaptive strategy for the tranny and require it to relearn all the shift points again. I have heard that if you dont take a vehicle out on the highway very often and just drive around town, it will cause it to shift very poorly.

So let us know how you drive, what kind of Explorer we are dealing with and engine size and such and we will see what we can figure out..

Ford Tech

Reply to
Ford Tech