94 Bronco - Eddy Bauer Power windows?

My 1994 Bronco has power windows. The driver side window started acting up and finally the passenger side is failing. I can put the windows down by pushing the button/switch. They need a helping hand to get them up. The window motor operates erratically.

I pulled the door panel (driver side) for a peek inside. Nothing has slipped or come apart. All seems to be connected and nothing seems to bind.

I suspect the motor is bad?

Do I drill the rivets ( is that what the correct term is) out to remove the motor or is there another tool used to remove the window motor?

How is a new window motor installed. Rivets, bolts and nuts?

I'm handy, but this is a first time for a window motor. I'm sure they were easier in earlier years. I want to avoid the dealer cost is possible.

Thanks!

-- Oren

Oren

Sounds more like a mech. binding than a motor/electrical problem.

Reply to
samstone

I just did a window regulator on a BMW, and all of the stuff I was interested in was bolted together. There was no need to break rivets. If you have to break a rivet, you should look at what the replacement parts look like first.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I had a similar problem with my 89 E-150...all the dealer did was 'reposition' the motor, after that, I just used a rubber mallet. You might try that first.

john of course, when my computer acts up, I smack the monitor...

Reply to
asadi

I didn't see any binding when I removed the door panel.

Looking at parts on line; it appears, the motor has a "gear box" attached. I'm thinking a gear stripped (nylon?).

Funny how both windows are failing at about the same time.

Thanks.

-- Oren

Oren

A little more reading, I found that yes two rivets in the door panel need to be drilled with a 1/2" bit. They "conceal" two of the motor bolts. The new motors I've seen online, don't show additional parts, just the motor (no parts list). The drilled holes are to be primed and painted to prevent rust

(BTW, are you from Atlanta - family in Tallahassee, FL or Bainbridge, GA?)

-- Oren

Oren

The branches of my family tree extend into GA, but I'm not directly related to anybody there. I'm in Calif.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland