Platinums in '94 E150 5.8L?

Motorcraft lists an alternative platinum plug for the '94 E150 5.8L. Plug listed is ASF32PF4. On another forum I have received a couple of "don't use platinums in this application" messages. I just wanted to know if others have had a bad experience running Motorcraft Platinums in these vehicles. I don't know what brand of plugs the others used, and had problems with. TIA, -cadjak

Reply to
cadjak

My experiance has been that they seem to do best with either a good copper plug or a regular platinum. IIRC, Ford recommends regular copper plugs change every 15K miles. I have normally change plugs at 30K miles using either with good success. I assume operating conditions and fuel will affect that some. I have tried using several sets of Bosch Platinum plugs over the years and, had to replace them in each and every case because of misfires well before the recommended copper plug change interval. I won't even speculate as to why that has been my experience with them when others seem to work much better. In any case, I have always had decent luck using the manufacturers recommendations with the recommended brand. I use either Motorcraft or Autolite in Ford Products and Delco in GM. My Asian imports have done well with NGK or Nipondenso. I don't dea; with Mopar any more. I wouldn't run Champions in my lawn mower - had too many fail within 3-6 months. I hate nothing more than a damned lawnmower that won't start when the job needs to be done and I didn't have time to screw around with it anyways.

Good luck

Reply to
lugnut

I ran Bosch platinum's for 100,000 miles before replacement in my '92 Bronco 5.8L. That should be the same engine as the E150. I can't imagine why there is a question of a problem.

Reply to
Mellowed

Yeah, installed a set of Bosch Platinum 2's in my 3.0 liter '99 Ranger with

70K miles. I'm going to expect 60K miles before replacement. Only 1k miles since the installation--so far so good. I really like the idea of not having to gap the plugs - sort of a plug and play situation. Of course the Germans did lose two world wars but what the hell. Just my two cents.
Reply to
Lee

I have taken out a lot of plug and have never seen the gap changed. I have seen a lot of plug that are resistive that go bad and turn into a very high resistance. The other problem is usually the plug will get fouled with carbon. I usually will take plug out if I think a cylinder is missing sand blast them, check the resistance, check the gap but never seem to ever need to adjust, and them reinstall the plug. I am still using original plugs out of the 1960's in most of my cars. My wifes caravan still have the original plugs with 130,000 miles on it. I only took them out once when one of them got carbon fouled.

Like oil changes a lot of money in flushed buying and replacing plugs and wires that really doesn't need to be spent.

Ron

Lee wrote:

Reply to
Ron

I'm going to try the Motorcraft platinums. I have gotten a bunch of contradictory opinions from the Ford service departments around here. I figure if Motorcraft says okay for the '94 E150 5.8L, then I've got a good shot at success. I'm still waiting to hear from Ford support off the Ford website. -cadjak

Reply to
cadjak