Tailgate stuck on ford f-100 1976 short bed ranger

Hi all. I read throught the mailing list here and want to understand a few things.

The tailgate won't go down anymore, it feels like there is a loose rod(?) on the side of the tailgate that seems stuck.

I notice there is a one screw on the inside of the tailgate.

Is this something I could fix (i have no automotive skills to speak of) or should I have a machine shop look at it?

Anyhelp will be much appreicated as I really like this truck and want to learn more about it

thanks all

ps, if I can describe more, let me know what you want to hear

Reply to
dude