02 GrandAm ignition locked

Yesterday my wife and I took a drive and about 60 miles from home we stopped for lunch. When we got back in the car the ignition wouldn't turn....just
like you didn't have the right key. My wife said that it had been acting that way for here off and on and she thought moving the shifter (AT on the floor) helped.....no such luck this time. I tried everything.....found out that the steering wasn't locking either. Finally called some friends to bring a trailer to come and get us....went to a local store and bought some WD40 and sprayed in the lock and about 3 minutes later it turned. Got it home and still intermittant problem.
Just wondering if anyone has had this problem? Car has 32000 miles and out of warranty as of Sept. Any TSBs on this?? Thanks
Eldon
I had a similar problem with my wifes Saturn it was the shift lock to keep you from taking the keys out while its in gear. The steering wheel would not lock nor would it turn till the car was in park the lock was sticking I just had it taken off. Should be cheap to fix my dealership didnt charge me
sodakid2 wrote:

If the floor shifter is not completely in park, and you turn off the engine and manage to get the key out you can get the thing jammed. Make sure that your wife is putting the floor shifter completely in park, and turning the ignition exactly to the off position, and isn't pulling the key out early or not putting it all the way in park.
Ted
Took it in to the dealer today....locked up key cylinder and possible sensors bad on shifter.....$400 and up to fix :-( I was hoping GM had a problem with these and would fix it free of charge, guess not.

I have had this happen in my '00, Monte Carlo. It was nothing more than the steering wheel being tight against the lock. A small tug on the wheel, and the key went right in and it started jest fine.