GrandAm 93 - Hot Ignition Key

Florida is hot, but I not sure if it is hotter enough to warm so much the ignition key. Somedays when I park the GrandAm 93, the ignition key is hot. Could it be some problems at the electrical contacts around it? That switch was replaced years ago because it got loose, now what?

Reply to
Wagner

IIRC, that year did not have the burning ignition switch. I wonder if it could have been replace with one that does catch fire? I think 95 was the first year of the burning switch. See:

earch Results

Report Date : June 6, 2004 at 12:41 AM TYPE : VEHICLE YEAR : 1995 MAKE : PONTIAC MODEL : GRAND AM

Results : 5 | All records displayed

Make : PONTIAC Model : GRAND AM Year : 1995 Service Bulletin Num : 00079 Date of Bulletin: JAN 08, 2001 NHTSA Item Number: 618103 Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:IGNITION:SWITCH Summary: INFORMATION REGARDING IGNITION SWITCH HIGH ELECTRICAL CURRENT. *JB Check to Request Research. Submit below.

Make : PONTIAC Model : GRAND AM Year : 1995 Service Bulletin Num : 00079 Date of Bulletin: DEC 22, 2000 NHTSA Item Number: 617747 Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:IGNITION:SWITCH Summary: SUBJECT REGARDING 00079 - PRODUCT SAFETY CAMPAIGN IGNITION SWITCH HIGH ELECTRICAL CURRENT. *TT Check to Request Research. Submit below.

Make : PONTIAC Model : GRAND AM Year : 1995 Service Bulletin Num : 00153 Date of Bulletin: DEC 22, 2000 NHTSA Item Number: 617765 Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:IGNITION:SWITCH Summary: CAMPAIGN PARTS BULLETIN REGARDING IGNITION SWITCH HIGH ELECTRICAL CURRENT. *TT Check to Request Research. Submit below.

Make : PONTIAC Model : GRAND AM Year : 1995 Service Bulletin Num : 00079 Date of Bulletin: DEC 15, 2000 NHTSA Item Number: 617751 Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:IGNITION:SWITCH Summary: SUBJECT REGARDING PRODUCT SAFETY CAMPAIGN IGNITION SWITCH HIGH ELECTRICAL CURRENT - PART 1. *TT Check to Request Research. Submit below.

Make : PONTIAC Model : GRAND AM Year : 1995 Service Bulletin Num : 00079 Date of Bulletin: DEC 15, 2000 NHTSA Item Number: 617752 Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:IGNITION:SWITCH Summary: SUBJECT REGARDING 00079 - PRODUCT SAFETY CAMPAIGN IGNITION SWITCH HIGH ELECTRICAL CURRENT - PART 2. *TT Check to Request Research. Submit below.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul =?x-user-defined?Q?=BB?=

Well, it is a 93 all right, but I remember at 95 or 96 that switch started to fail, so I disassembled everything and bought a new switch at Pontiac dealer. May be that new switch was the deffective one, later to be recall, heh? My luck? Should I just replace it again?

Is that anyone with the electric drawing of the car where that switch appears, I mean, which two fuses at the fuse box are exactly before and after the switch, so I can measure voltage drop between the fuses and identify if the switch is really holding voltage by bad contact and heating up...?

Reply to
Wagner

What switch are you talking about? The ignition switch isn't anywhere near the key, is it? I don't have a grand am, so, I could be wrong.

Reply to
Joe

The ignition switch is right in the extension of the key insert and lock, there is a link that turns the switch. As far as I remember the switch is located at the other side of the steering wheel column.

The only way to warm the ignition key, is if something in the steering wheel column is heating bad.

Reply to
Wagner