1987 Delta 88 Brake/Parking lights Problem

I recently noticed on my 1987 Delta 88 that when I have my parking lights on both the tail lights and the top horizontal light are always on and that when I put on my brakes they barely get lighter. I got
pulled over yesterday because the cop thought that my brake lights were stuck on and he couldn't tell when I had my brakes on. When the parking lights are not on the brake lights work fine, but I'm confused about the horizontal light above my hood. Is it supposed to be off at night until I hit my brakes or does the '87 D88 work differently?