1987 Delta 88 Trans failure?

Just recently my 1987 Delta 88 3.8L V6 oldmobile had a transmission failure. The engine appears fine so I do not believe that to be the problem.

No warning or anything and now I have no drive in any gear.

Symptoms:

  1. Fluid smells fine, when off and after checking in park motor running fluid level shows high. The times I've checked before problem level was high when off (expected) and when running level was correct.

  1. After several minutes of driving car loses all drive in any gear.

  2. Sound like a 2 cycle string trimmer from engine compartment seems trans area but not 100% sure, sound is in all gears.

  1. Car seems to work again for a short time after turned off and allowed to sit for a few minutes.

I'm trying to get some idea of what might be wrong and what it may take to fix it either as a DIY or at a shop.

Tim.

I will admit I did also post this to alt.autos.oldmobile but it is a GM car and this seems a much more active group.

Thank You

Reply to
Tim

Shep
19 years was a long run dude, Sounds like a rebuilt is in order if you want to spend the $$$.

Its about $1600 to $2000 to have rebuilt.

good luck

harryface

Reply to
Harry Face