Won't start -- 1987 Olds Delta 88

I have a 1987 Delta 88 Brougham that refuses to start. The starter will turn it over just fine, I have confirmed that it's getting spark (pulled the plug and watched it), seems to be getting fuel (I can smell it after a few minutes of trying to start) - but it never actually starts.

I have tried using starting fluid and it makes no difference. Checked for computer error codes and I just get a constant "12 12 12 12 ..." flashing.

This all started when one day I parked the car and then, upon trying to restart it after an hour or so, it appeared to have a dead battery. It turned out that one of the battery cables was loose and the battery was fine... So I tightened the cable - and it hasn't started since.

Based on what the Chilton's manual says, I was thinking that perhaps the main computer was fried when the battery cable came loose. But would I still get the "12 12 12 ..." display if this was true? What else can I check?

Thanks much for any help!

-Robert

Reply to
Robert Rochte