Radiator Fan 1987 Delta 88

All, I posted this over in another group as well, my apologies fro the duplication; but it seems like ther is a bit more activity here.

Anyway, hello, and thanks in advance for any advice provided.

I have an olds 1987 delta 88. I can't find an engine code, it's a 3.8L,

I count 6 spark plug wires, but all the parts stores tell me this model

is only available in a V8. So, I have no idea what model or even really

what size the motor is, other then it is definetly a 3.8L.

The radiator fan seized, followed by severe overheating. It's possible that the head gaskets are blown now; but I'm willing to try the fan replacement first.

I removed the fan assembly, and then disassembled the motor. Nary a bit

of insulation on the windings, which I suppose would explain its failure to turn.

I called O'reilly, and they quoted a price around $60, _including_ the shroud that the fan motor mounts in, as well as the fan blade. Seems a bit low to me, but hey....I'm not complaining. The mechanic we took it to first wanted $350 for one.

My two questions:

  1. There is also a resistor mounted on the shroud. Looks to me to be in

bad shape (although I havn't measured its resistance yet) - does anyone

know if this bit also comes with the new assy? (No big deal, just curious. I'm sure I can afford a new one).

  1. I'm guessing there is a sensor somewhere that triggers the fan. I'm thinking I might just as well replace it while I'm at it - unfortunately I have no idea where it is on the block. Any tips on it's

location?

Thanks much! Matt

Reply to
Matt

The only engine available in a 1987 Olds Delta 88 is a 3.8L V6. If the part stores are telling you it has to be a V8, call another part store.

Electric rad fans are RARELY sold in pieces, you have to buy the whole thing. Also, who is O'Reilly? Bill O'Reilly?

Depends on weather or not the "resistor" is before the fan connecter or after. If it's on the fan side of the connector, then it will come with it. I can't even see the resistor or a connector in the wiring diagram.

RH side of engine, near alternator. However, the components that have a say in whether the fan comes on or not is not limited to the temperature switch. The A/C pressure switch, the HVAC controls and vehicle speed sensor also have a role in telling the fan to come on.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Steve -

Thanks much.

"The only engine available in a 1987 Olds Delta 88 is a 3.8L V6. If the part stores are telling you it has to be a V8, call another part store. "

So noted. Thanks for the tip, it jives with my count of the SP wires.

"Electric rad fans are RARELY sold in pieces, you have to buy the whole

thing. Also, who is O'Reilly? Bill O'Reilly? "

OReilly is a local parts chain; and I"m glad to hear that fans don't come in peices. The resistor (Well, Im guessing it's a resistor - one terminal on each end, whie, about 1" square an 4" long. It's far too grimy get an spec info off of it though. It's mounted on the shroud, and is connected as as follows:

Black from the harness connector to one end of the resitor. White from the harness connector to the other end of the resistor.

A black lead from the same terminal on the resistor that the white wire is connected to goes to the fan.

A black lead with white stripe laed from the fan harness connector goes to the other fan wire.

"RH side of engine, near alternator. However, the components that have a say in whether the fan comes on or not is not limited to the temperature switch. The A/C pressure switch, the HVAC controls and vehicle speed sensor also have a role in telling the fan to come on. "

Sweet. Oh well, I guess all I can do is hope those components are functional, as replacing them is over my head. I know for sure the fan is complete toast.

THANKS SO MUCH for you help, and one more silly question:

Because of all the oher components that turn the fan on - would there be any harm in simply running a toggle switch to the passenger compartment and cycling the swith manually? This model car has what I would call an excellent engine temp monitor.

I know, it's a stupid idea. But I just lost my job, this is the only car I have, and ended up with purely through circumstance 3 days ago. I just need it to run until I get another job.

Matt

Reply to
Matt

You're on your own with this one, reuse it, buy a new one or maybe it'll come with the new fan.

To switch the fan on and off manually, get a two position toggle switch, like you said. Hook one terminal of the switch to ground. Now, find the fan control relay, "LH front of engine compartment, on bracket". There are four wires coming out of it:

BRN (brown) - hot in run RED - hot at all times DK GRN (dark green) - to control components WHT (white) - fan motor output

Splice into the DK GRN wire from the other terminal of the toggle switch. Be sure not to cut the DK GRN wire and leave it cut or the fan will never come on. Now the fan will operate normally, but at the flick of a switch you can turn it on manually.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Steve -

Thank you so very much, you've no idea how much I appreciate it.

Matt

Reply to
Matt

When should I expect the cheque to arrive in my mail box?

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Reply to
Shep

Uh, Shep, come on. Where am I from? In Canada, "check" is the same as the US except when talking about the money type. Then it's "cheque."