1992 Buick Century engine problems

Hello. I am seeking some semblence of sanity from some one knowledgeable about Buicks. My car stalls and quits running while hot. At first my mechanic thought it was electrical, so I received on
different visits a battery, battery cables, alternator and an ignition modulator. Then it was determined to be heat related so I got a thermostat, coolant, radiator flush, block flush and so forth. The new mechanic noticed the upper radiator hose was hot, radiator cold, so he installed a second thermostat and relay to the radiator fan. After leaving his garage, the car broke down three miles away. The car has broken down 19 times in under three months and now the garage is talking fuel pumps and filters. Any suggestions? The car overheats in traffic, on open roads and it shudders when going up hills. I’m not even sure it is a heating problem any more. Thanks for any input out there as my first two mechanics seemed to just replace things which obviously hasn’t improved or corrected the problem.
Thread archive:
✖

You need to post what engine you have. I suspect the 3.8, but can you confirm.
The garage has done a lot of parts replacement, in your case, but hasnt solved any problems. Expensive, huh?
For starters, how do you know, for sure, that the car is overheating?
If we can narrow the problems down to what we are sure we know, and what we suspect, maybe we can home in on the problem.
Add pictures here
✖
If all this work was done specifically for the stalling issue and nothing has changed, I'd dispute the work with your chg card co., be in small claims court or bringing in a 3rd party to resolve the money issue, if the work was done because ,in spite of the stalling, it was needed different story. You should drop the car in their lap and say now fix my original problem, or answer to a lawyer. I can think of 1/2 dozen issues that can cause your symptoms, ultimately it must be diagnosed on site by a repair shop.

✖

You got that right.. That mechanic was wild ass guessing, if not worse.
Add pictures here
✖
Ghymm1964 wrote:

Odds are the crank sensor is shot. However, I would not just throw one on without diagnosing the problem first. It sounds like the first two techs did not do any diagnosis and you got taken for a lot of money.
Add pictures here
✖

I have had crank sensor problems myself. They dont, AFAIK, result in overheating. They normally result in starting and drivability issues.
But we all agree, the earlier work was just guessing and throwing parts at the problem.
Diagnosis is definitely needed.
Add pictures here
✖