1992 Buick Century engine problems

Hello. I am seeking some semblence of sanity from some one knowledgeable about Buicks. My car stalls and quits running while hot. At first my mechanic thought it was electrical, so I received on different visits a battery, battery cables, alternator and an ignition modulator. Then it was determined to be heat related so I got a thermostat, coolant, radiator flush, block flush and so forth. The new mechanic noticed the upper radiator hose was hot, radiator cold, so he installed a second thermostat and relay to the radiator fan. After leaving his garage, the car broke down three miles away. The car has broken down 19 times in under three months and now the garage is talking fuel pumps and filters. Any suggestions? The car overheats in traffic, on open roads and it shudders when going up hills. I?m not even sure it is a heating problem any more. Thanks for any input out there as my first two mechanics seemed to just replace things which obviously hasn?t improved or corrected the problem.

Reply to
Ghymm1964

You need to post what engine you have. I suspect the 3.8, but can you confirm.

The garage has done a lot of parts replacement, in your case, but hasnt solved any problems. Expensive, huh?

For starters, how do you know, for sure, that the car is overheating?

If we can narrow the problems down to what we are sure we know, and what we suspect, maybe we can home in on the problem.

Reply to
HLS

The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups---= - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

Reply to
Shep

You got that right.. That mechanic was wild ass guessing, if not worse.

Reply to
HLS

Odds are the crank sensor is shot. However, I would not just throw one on without diagnosing the problem first. It sounds like the first two techs did not do any diagnosis and you got taken for a lot of money.

Reply to
Paul

I have had crank sensor problems myself. They dont, AFAIK, result in overheating. They normally result in starting and drivability issues.

But we all agree, the earlier work was just guessing and throwing parts at the problem.

Diagnosis is definitely needed.

Reply to
HLS