1995 Buick Riviera CHK ENG Light

Threaded View

Bought a 95 Buick Riviera from a small dealer in North Carolina. This car
came from Virginia and the CarFax said it
passed an emission test every year until its last check in Oct 2006 at
42,000 miles. It now has 45,000 and the test
drive went well. On the drive home the check engine light came on with no
performance loss or rough idle or rotten egg
smell from the exhaust. When you shut it off the check light does not come
on. Sometimes will come on after a few miles
and other times I have gone 40 miles and it never came on.

I went to 2 AutoZone stores to let them scan for a code but at both places
an elderly person was using the scanner and
both places could not get the scanner to communicate through the aldl
connector. (I suspect they needed a different
connector)

I went to another shop and I don't know how the fella said got a code about
the EGR valve. They said $60 to clean the ERG valve.
Seems to me if it were and ERG problem the light would be on right away.
I talked to the original owner and although it has a supercharged engine he
never ran anything but regular unleaded
gas. Would you go with the ERG cleaning for $60 or try something else?

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Re: 1995 Buick Riviera CHK ENG Light

Could be the EGR, could be an O2 sensor, could be the gas cap if you just
filled up.  Someone got a code so that is more reliable than speculation
from someone reading a newsgroup.

You don't trust elderly store clerks, you don't trust an independent shop,
I'd have to suggest you take the car to an authorized Buick dealer and have
them do whatever work is needed to bring the 12 year old car up to like new
specifications.

Re: 1995 Buick Riviera CHK ENG Light

EGR only works when needed.  EGR carboning up is normal.
Post the codes here and we can give you a few
ideas of what would set those codes.

Re: 1995 Buick Riviera CHK ENG Light

Cheapen out and go somewhere and pay to have the codes read. That's the only
way to tell what the SES light is saying. Throwing parts at the car isn't
going to do anything but cost you money. As for the octane, I have the same
engine as you do and it clearly states 91 or higher. If you are using 87,
and your knock sensor isn't up to snuff, you're not going to be driving that
car very long.

Re: 1995 Buick Riviera CHK ENG Light

    Lots of '95 model gm's(Z-28's, 'Vettes, TransAms, ...) had OBDII
systems, but still used OBDI aldl-connector for scanning.  Scanners used a
special connector-cable just for this 'hermaphroditic' (My own adjective,
but it sounded good to me!) connector.  s

Re: 1995 Buick Riviera CHK ENG Light

Shop cleaned the valve but about 5 miles away the light came back on. They
said drive it for a few days to clean things out. It does seem a bit better
as it had a slight miss at steady speeds below 60mph and now its almost
gone. There is no specific pattern to make it come on. Sometimes it comes on
in less then a mile and sometimes I have gone 40 miles and it never came on.

Site Timeline