'90 Corsica brake light replacement

My car was recently struck while parked, resulting in the left rear brake light being blown. I've taken the assembly out and attempted to replace the bulb, but it just doesn't want to come out, which has me
thinking, do I need to replace the tail light holder and all, or should I take some pliers to the stubborn bulb? Thanks!