'96 Lumina 3100 milkshake motor

Buddy of mine just picked up a 1996 Lumina with a 3100 that I'll say has a "milkshake motor" ... oil color is gray/milky. Thinking UIM/LIM
gaskets here (would be typical for this motor). Just over 103k. Have not pulled the plugs yet to see what they look like. Wondering if there's anything else that we should be doing while digging down and replacing them, and where's the best place to get replacements, and what ones to get (Fel pro, factory, etc)
Thanks
-GV
Felpro makes the updated gaskets as well as GM, with new intake bolts and torqueing procedure. If this has been mixed with the oil for a while the crank bearings are at risk here.

-

from your post i would ALMOST guarantee you are looking at lower intake manifold coolant leakage.....if not sure 1)change oil. 2) run to full warm and mark overflow tank. 3) drive normally for a week while checking oil condition and level, and checking for coolant level decrease OFTEN. there is always the possibilty the oil has been there forever and PCV syaten not working and allowing water builup in oil. far fetched but possible......as far as parts go = get updated lower gaskets, some need bolts replaced/some dont, a decent GM parts man can take the last 8 of VIN to tell the story on bolts. no matter what on the bolts, clean out the bolt holes like new with carb cleaner as the locktite on bolts is about the only thing that gives the repair a chance in hell of holding up (very low torque)............when finished make sure and cuss the engineers that came up with this POS design...........then move on. kjun
--
The Source For Premium Newsgroup Access
Great Speed, Great Retention

LOL thanks for the info. Picked up the upper and lower from the dealer today (along with some other gaskets he said the project would need as well). Odd that autozone/pep boys/etc list a "revision 1" and "revision 2" gasket set and the dealer only showed ONE version, period.
LIM's don't really surprise me, my 94 had the same problem, and I've read it's a common thing even on the 3800's (LIM/UIM). I'd rather be fixing gaskets than replacing trannies (ford, fix or repair daily, blech) or the whole damn engine (Chrysler 2.7L's 98-03 give or take a few years)
-GV