'96 Chevy Lumina APV Power Window Motor

Just purchased replace power window motor for the driver side of my 1996 Chevrolet Lumina APV. The kit is complete with new screws, nuts, and what looks to be threaded pop rivets...

Easily got the panel off the door, disconnected the wiring, but what is the procedure for removing the existing threaded pop rivets AND how does one properly install the new ones?

Any assistance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Stumped in Rochester, NY

Reply to
Geoff Wasmer

To get them off is a bit*h and a half on the APV's ... normally you can take a nice sharp 1/4 inch bit and slowly drill out the rivit after you used a center punch to knock out the center part... after you get in a ways you can simply tilt the drill and rock it around... done deal.. thats when the rivits go into a metal panel... you have a plastic panel.. that makes it much more difficult... you can try drilling them,but try not to let them spin in the plastic.. and you could drill a little on each one, giving the rivit time to cool... don't forget to use masking tape to hold the window up... after you get those big rivits out you can take the regulator out and change the motor.. I am not positive, but I don't think you can change the motor on that model with the regulator in the window... to put them back you need a huge rivit gun.. I have a 1/4 inch air/hydraulic one that costs around 300$ .. they do make hand models that are around 60$ or so... the rest should be pretty straight forward.If you want, You could probably use

Reply to
bobo