98 Chevy Lumina Knocking Sound

We had just got home from 2 days of a large city wide Rummage Sale and we decied to go to town to get Pizza. I got a couple miles down the road and heard
a knocking sound. None of my Dummy lights are on. I checked the oil. it was full. Someone said maybe the knock sensor was out so I replaced it. Still there. It gets louder as the engine is reved up. I thought maybe it was the lifters but when I took to the local shop he said he thinks the noise is coming from the transmission. Could this be right?
--
heather128

heard a knocking sound. None of my Dummy lights are on. I checked the oil. it was full. Someone said maybe the knock sensor was out so I replaced it. Still there. It gets louder as the engine is reved up. I thought maybe it was the lifters but when I took to the local shop he said he thinks the noise is coming from the transmission. Could this be right?

Sure it could. After all - a mechanic who actually leaned over the car and listened to it, looked at it, and probably knows something about cars in general has said that he thinks the noise is coming from the transmission. Why would you think that a bunch of people in a newsgroup with no access to your car would say that it's wrong?
A knocking sound could be a hundred things. Well ok, maybe not quite a hundred, but quite a few. If you really want a "second opinion" from a newsgroup you'd have to provide a lot more of a description of the sound. Still - there's nothing like a capable individual actually seeing the car.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

-