98 Jimmy leaking oil cooler lines

I have a Candian 98 Jimmy with 100,000km on it. It regularly leaves oil drips under the oil cooler (in front of the rad). Last time I had it at a garage they told me I needed two new oil cooler lines ($300 total job).

First of all...aren't these just hoses clamped at the cooler? How do they normally leak? Second, how tough is this job?

-Mike-

Reply to
Mike

"Mike" wrote

They are formed metal pipes with some flexible hose in between the two pipe ends. The flexible hose is crimped onto the metal pipes...this is where they leak.

I would suggest that you change them right away. I've seen more then a few of these just blow off while a cust is driving. Engine time, if the customer doesn't shut it off right away.

How tough is the job? Not very. If you know what you are doing.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai