ABS lights keeps flashing. Should I be worried? Venture 2002

I have a Venture 2002 van. In the last few months my abs lights randomly goes on and off. Is that a matter that need immediate attention. I occasionally hear the abs kicking in for no reason
(like when I am backing up for example). Should I be worried safety wise. Could this create other problems if I don't attend to it soon? Thanks.
lbbss
It all depends on whether you like your brakes to work the same way every time you hit them. When that light is on you don't have ABS. Now suppose your coming up to a green light and lust as you start through you notice a car running the red side. You jump on the brakes. Which type of brakes do you have? anti-lock or normal what happens IF they decide to switch modes while your braking? I would advise getting it repaired.
--
Steve W.
Life is not like a box of chocolates

Sell the car and turn in your license. If you can't figure out that it is a warning about your brakes, you should not be driving. Please stay away from the roads I use so they may remain safe.
On 25 Apr 2006 19:38:27 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

your head or what. If by some chance you are smart enough to know that green means go and red means stop, what would possess you to drive a car with faulty brakes.
Please post your home address so that we can call the local police. If you live in Iraq I'll have you shot.

You, 'cselby' and 'Edwin' both need to get a grip. The guy is asking a question. If you don't have a nice answer then keep quiet. Some cars turn the ABS light on for something simple like low on fluid. Yes, the guy should get the car checked out, and that's WHY he asked.

RTFM for crying out loud. Anyone that does not have the brain power to figure "my brakes are having a problems" should not be driving. That intermittent belt whine may leave you by the side of the road, but that intermittent brake can leave you DEAD should it fail the wrong way. .
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Bonneville for about 4 years with the ABS light on. Never had a problem stopping. Remember ABS isn't always required. It just enables you to steer in a heavy breaking situation. Good drivers can out stop an ABS system and still maintain control.

True, they are designed to work that way and hopefully they always will if the ABS fails. But to ignore it and ask if it should be checked out, is just a plain dumb question. Yes, there really is a stupid question.
I'll drive a while with a noise if I know what it is and what, if any, harm can come of it, but I don't drive with safety devices disabled out of ignorance. You can go your entire life with no need for the ABS, but if it rains tomorrow, the road is slippery, a car pulls out . . . . . . .ABS may make the difference.
wrote in message

If the road is slippery, ABS is not your friend. It only helps on high traction surfaces. Good drivers are better off without it.
Dave
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

because when applied the brakes on wet pavement and the ABS functioned he didn't know what it was and released the brake pedal and used my bumper to stop.
wrote in message

The ABS light doesn't always mean the brakes are going to fail. Like I said, it could be something very small, or even just in the ABS system. Remember when cars didn't come with ABS?

Spoken like a car user, not a car fixer. When people do dangerous things, without knowing enough to stop and check what's happening, this is as nice as it gets. If you can't check it yourself take it to someone who can, not to a newsgroup. NOT for red lites on - ever. Feel free to discuss it after the problem is resolved or was looked at by alleged competent people and not resolved.
ABS stops the wheels from braking in a selective manner depending on what the wheel sensors detect. In effect it screws with the brakes ability to 'lock up'. When the system gets old /worn /dirty it really messes up including preventing any braking no matter how soft or hard you stand on the brake pedal. And it can do this intermitently just like Russian roulette. When the red lite comes on it means something important enough to turn the lite on, is happening.
This bit of info doesn't get the vehicle checked and/or repaired and it is far from explaining ABS in it's entirety. It is about a worst case scenario. And it's the one you better be prepared to live (or kill or die) with when it happens.
That's why you are so dangerous. Idiots like you are why so many 'accidents' happen that aren't 'your fault'. Don't spread your stupidity by making this person think it's OK to drive with red lites on or flashing on.

Wrong. I fix cars all the time. I just did a brake job today.

I have had ABS failures on several cars, each time the ABS light would come on, the ABS system would shut down, and the brakes returned to 'standard' mode.

I didn't say it was OK to drive the car with the light on, I said he should get it looked at, but calling someone names isn't going to help at all. The guy was asking if it was a problem. A simple 'yes, get it checked out' would have sufficed. People like you give Mechanics a bad name. Treat people with respect, and they will treat you the same.

Are you the new moderator?

You are so full of shit, I'm surprised you can see your keyboard.

Oh my, how dramatic....

Speaking of idiots, what we don't need is people like you pontificating on subjects that you know nothing about.
Dave
I couldn't agree more, Dave.
Group: alt.autos.gm Date: Wed, Apr 26, 2006, 11:03pm (EDT-1) From: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Hairy)
Speaking of idiots, what we don't need is people like you pontificating on subjects that you know nothing about. Dave
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "Sometimes, when you're up to your butt in alligators, it's hard to remember that the intial objective was to drain the swamp." ~ Unknown ~
If it goes on and off randomly it nothing to worry about, could be a whole lot of little things from a worn hub assembly to a loose sensor to low fluid. When you get a chance get it checled out. In the mean time you still have good brakes.