air bag vs. horn

2003 Yukon
I have gotten into the habit of driving with my hands on the middle beam of the steering wheel, the part that intersects the wheel in the middle. This
way I leave both thumbs on the horn in case I need it.
I was looking at the steering wheel. The air bag pops out of the middle in case of deployment, which happens to be where the horn is located. If I were honking on the horn, trying to warn someone of danger and was struck causing the air bag to deploy, would sitting on the horn cause the bag to not deploy properly? Or would my hands be injured in such a case? The obvious solution is to not hold the steering wheel that way.
I contacted GM but have yet to receive an answer to the question. I was told how air bags worked and referred to some web sites, but they wouldn't come out and "no" they wouldn't conflict with each other. So I am assuming that they will.
Anyone know about this? Have experience you can share?
Joe Salerno
Airbag will likely deply and break, if not shatter, your thumbs in the process. Not that using your whole hand to honk the horn at someone will prevent the airbag from deploying and breaking your arm...
On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 05:22:31 GMT, " snipped-for-privacy@salerno.com"

snipped-for-privacy@salerno.com wrote:

No offense, but if you really have to use your horn that much, then maybe it's time to either move, or take defensive driving. :)

Your hands would probably be injured, or depending on how the bag deploys, maybe get pushed out of the way when the casing breaks open.
however, I also think that automakers and the NHTSA rely on the notion that in such a situation, it would be a better idea for you to put all your weight on the brakes rather than the horn.
--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.

lol, I remember when I was taking my drivers ed class about 2 or 3 years ago the teacher played a video that said "a little toot on the horn to remind them that you're there" and it went for EVERYTHING, people backing up, people turning, people parking, people blocking the roadway, you get the idea. Anyways, one day I was driving in the car for my mandatory 40 hours of driving (I think that's how many we need here in WI before we get our licenses) and she leaned over and honked the horn at this senior couple for like 2 minutes. Since then I don't think I've heard a student driver car honk the horn.

What's wrong with 10&2 or 9&3? I guess the very fact you have two hands on the wheel is better than most people out there...
Ray
Over time I may change position for comfort, but the real reason is that the middle beam is comfortable and allows me to have thumbs on the horn in case it is needed. At 10 & 2 I suspect my arms might get in the way of the bag. -- Joe Salerno Video Works! Is it working for you? PO Box 273405 - Houston TX 77277-3405 http://joe.salerno.com

snipped-for-privacy@salerno.com wrote:

way of your knuckles if the air bomb goes off. You can either -hold the wheel correctly -disable the airbag -take your chances.
Ray
I use my horn when I feel it's necessary which is about once or twice a day. The recommended position for a car with air bags is 8 & 4 so that you avoid serious injury in case the airbag deploys. The old position of 10 & 2 results in injuries to the forearms on deployment. And I'd wager that putting your hands on the spokes would result in some kind of injury too.