Alternator Problem

Page 1 of 4
I recently installed 3 autozone rebuilt alternators and 1 new alternator after a 5 year stint of no charging system issues. All of these have been within the past 3 months and to begin with, I was
under the impression it may just be bum rebuilds. Twice in the past couple of weeks I've gone on the road for the weekend where everything looked fine until Monday morning and then, no charge (as per my gauge and verified by a voltmeter). Battery started and ran the vehicle okay (bat is one year old) but no charging system. This vehicle is a 97 GMC suburban k1500, BTW.
This past Sunday morning, I experienced the same thing and shut the car off. This time, I decided to remove the negative cable for about 5 minutes and reconnected. Voila, the charging system worked. It's as if some sort of charge is being held (or accumulated over a few days) or some sort of capacitive action is taking place somehow.
I decided to try the neg cable because the last time I took it to autozone, the alternator checked out okay on their machine (but off the vehicle).
Anyone run into a problem like this in the past? Where a good alternator/regulator seems to build up some sort of charge and won't operate properly? TIA
On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 20:55:09 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com wrote:

Have you considered the possibility you may just have a bad ground?

Excellent suggestion, and also check to make sure the alternator activate line is not hot all the time...
So, your vehicle now has 4 alternators, or 5? How do you atach them, and do you need a longer belt for the extra alternators?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

What we need is fewer religion trolls posing as regular users.
Maybe people could be more tollerant about you if you offered a meaningful bit of advice, insetad of making stupid comments.
OK, since you asked. I advise you to drive a Chevrolet to the nearest LDS church this sundy morning, and ask to be taught the investigator discussions.
Guess you havn't been around long. I've asked for advice, and given serious and thoughtful answers. But, you wouldn't know that.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I know a troll when I see one.
I also know that religion doesn't belong here.
I respect that is your signature however, but as to going to a cult to learn something... I don't think so.
How about a serious answer for the OP?
Drive to the nearest LDS church to be taught. Learn more about Jesus. www.ldspam.org
Christopher A. Young (Stormin Mormon) _______________________________________________________________
=== Are you a descendant of the original winking === polygamist, Brigham (I don't care how you === Brigham as long as you Brigham) Young? You don't have a bad alternator, because you get no charging improvement by substituting good alternators.
It's probably not a bad connection at the power wire from the alternator to the battery because you refreshed that connection each time you replaced the alternator.
It's probably not a bad connection at the alternator field input connector because you refreshed that connection each time you replaced the alternator.
Most likely suspects:
1.) Broken wire inside the field input cable, usually right next to or inside the connector.
2.) Bad connection/broken wire/defective relay at the other end of the field cable.
Good luck,
Rodan. .
Don't know of any. Wish I was, he was quite a character.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

The wingnut religious fanatics (of ANY religion) are the equivalent of the village idiots.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPwGV1h4lW8
And this is SOOO true.... http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2009/09/25/notes092509.DTL
No salvation for you, reprobate!
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Nor for you.
There are no gods. There is no heaven, there is no hell, there is no devil. There is only us, and that makes it even more important that we look out for and care for each other. Because no one else is going to.
--

Howdya like that... we started playing guitar to impress the chicks and wind
up talkin' fingernails with old men.

He won't see it, won't understand it... Some people never give up their imaginary friends no matter how old they get.

I think the point is that he's driving to the lds church in a chevy 4x4 truck and offering you decent free advice on your question. His tagline is immaterial....
Augustus wrote:

"Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree..... yeah, makes perfect sense."
--
Steve W.

is
"... and He needs money! He always needs money!" http://freethoughtpedia.com/wiki/George_Carlin

LOL

One of the best summaries I've seen.

One must believe what one can believe. I dont disrespect anyone for his beliefs as long as they do not promulgate hatred, and anger, and injury.
This includes Christians, Jews and Muslims, as well as the many eastern religions.

Many wars are the result of religious beliefs of Christians, Jews, and Muslims. Those wars promulgate hatred, and anger, and injury and death.