Auxillary Radio Option and iPod Connection for 2003 GMC Envoy

I recently purchased a 2003 GMC envoy and have a question regarding the radio. There is an Auxillary input setting which can be used for thinks like XM radio. However, I would like to have the Auxillary
setting be to a jack that will plug into my Apple iPod so that I can use it to listen to music in my car. Has anyone tried doing this or had it done by anyone. I assume it should be pretty straightforward but I do not know much about electronics. Any thoughts?
Also, I do not have a cassette deck so the cassette deck adapter is not an option and the FM-based adapters are nice but I find the quality of the music degrades quite a bit using these devices.
Matt