Buick Lucerne

Anyone have a Lucerne or knowledge of how they are measuring up to the positive reviews they're getting? I've had good luck with LeSabres and Park Avenues over the last 12 years and I'm thinking about a Lucerne. Thanks for any comments.

Reply to
Martin

I have a Lucerne CXS V8 since last December, about 4K miles so far.

The only problem was that the CD changer would not accept disks from day one and that was quickly recitified with a new radio unit. The sound system is very nice.

I've had one Park Avenue ('97) and two LeSabres ('01 and '03). Still have the '03. The only problems with the LeSabres were having to replace three window controllers between the two cars. I guess there is a known longivity problem. Not sure if the design was changed for the Lucerne.

So far so good with the Lucerne. Everyone that rides in it comments on the comfort. Buick really improved the design of the seats, both front and back, over the Park Ave and LeSabre.

I would recommend the car.

I almost bought a Lexus ES330 until I started reading about the unfixable tranny problems.

Reply to
Bishoop

The Lucerne is Selling quite a well in the Chicago area.

I still haven't gotten used to the look of one. That huge black grille resembles one of the Hyundia's and the decklid/tailights look like a buddies 01 Corolla.

harryface ( not rushing out to buy one yet maybe in 2015 )

Reply to
Harry Face

It does have a lot of features and I'm guessing it will be near the reliability of the LeSabre, given the same drivetrain. I'm just not sure that is a good thing given my recent experiences. I like the front, the back, but the side profile looks a bit old instead of bold. I'm not making up my mind on any car for 6 more months.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

We considered the Lucerne, but - as you say - considering the recent experiences with crappo engines, transmissions, window regulators, alternators, air conditioning computers, etc. etc... I would be hard pressed to by any sort of GM, and certainly not a new model.

I hope you all have good luck with your Lucies.

Reply to
<HLS

I'm not ruling it out, but in consideration it Toyota and Nissan. I like the Avalon and Maxima, but I'm not sure I want to spend that much on a car but will consider a Camry and Altima along with better vacations. The Lacrosse looks too much like my LeSabre so I'm not interested. Still have plenty of time to decide.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

We're doing the same. Perhaps I have over researched opinions on reliability, etc.

We went out to drive a Nissan yesterday, but the salesmen were very busy talking with friends, so I guess I should make an appointment. These cars look nice, but have no idea what they feel like on the road.

The Toyota Camry or Avalon both have good reputations. We have driven the Camry, and it was quiet, smooth, nice.

So was the VW Passat smooth and quiet, with the advantage of a killer turbo

4 cylinder engine. Again, rumors of poor reliability, disinterested dealership service and poor problem resolution make me pull back.

The Honda Accord was pretty but the ride was not to my liking.

Reply to
<HLS

Not unexpectedly comments are mixed. But they are useful.

I originally had my eye on an Avalon XLS, looked like the poor man's Lexus. But then the complaints started. Consumers Reports originally had it high on their recommended list, but dropped it out of the list in the next issue. Hence my interest in the Lucerne.

Reply to
Martin

I have a Buick Lucerne CXS with the V8 that is two months old. Great car with no problems other than a reset of the remote controls. Quiet, lots of power and a great ride. If you look it is the same car (same platform, same engine, same transmission, same dimensions, same assembly plant) as the Cadillac DTS. The Buick is 10K cheaper!

Traded in a 2000 Olds Intrigue with 120K miles and the only repair was a $200 sensor. Never tuned it up, never changed trans fluid or coolant. Put a set of front brake pads and replaced original tires at 80K miles. Changed the oil when the light came on.

Frank in DC

Reply to
Frank

I would hope that you are happy with the car after two months. If one started having problems at that age, then one might be very disappointed.

Some of the reviews I have been reading note that most serious faults with any car come with age. Some of those reviews look at cars during the first

2000 miles of use, which is no age at all.

I want to know what I can expect at 50K or 100k, as I might well keep the car that long or longer. The Lucerne is so new, that it will take a year or two to find out how well they are really put together. And I hope they do well. This is the only American car we have had any interest in buying.

Reply to
<HLS

What to expect? Take a look at the past. The drive train is the same. Both engines have been around a while, The trans is a variation of one that has been around for many years. I don't see any radical new technology in it, unless you call heated wiper fluid new technology.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Errrr, then that isn't the very best of recommendations, Ed.

Reply to
<HLS

That is why one is not in my driveway right now. Plan was to buy one in April or May. New car purchase postponed until maybe January now. Not decided what brand yet. Down payment money went to repairs of my LeSabre.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski