buick regal radio display problem

I have 2000 Buick Regal LS monsoon radio/cd/tape player. The display will not show clock or track info while playing cd. The unit is working fine and at night all buttons lit, but main display
will not on.
Is this normal problem with Regal. You know any quick fix. The dealer wants $375 to swap the unit.
Thanks

Is the display area lit? It may just be the lamp that illuminates the display. Common problem in Ford radios. You can see the numbers if you shine a flashlight on the display. If the display area is lit and the display does not work start looking at auto stereo places for a different radio, or watch e-bay. Be aware of the lock code if you remove the radio or purchase a replacement..
Al
most likely it is the power supply module for the display. the display is a vacuum flourescent display and requires higher voltage than 12 VDC. Thus the power supply inside the radio. A good tech could fix the PS.
Hello...
I own a shop in Baltimore where we repair OEM Radio's.
You problem is not uncommon. The power supply for the LED's might have failed. There are other reasons that might be as well.
Anyways, $375 is a bit high, we do this type of repair for around $250. If you wanted you could ship us your unit and we could do it for you.
Purchasing a new radio off of ebay is a bad choice, as another post suggested. You radio is a Class Two Data bus unit. It will only "turn on" if connected to the correct BCM with the correct VIN LOCK. The radio off ebay will not work in your car unless the dealer uses a Tech 2 to decode it. Also, the unit off ebay will most likely be not tested for the above reason, even if they say it has been.
If this interests you, or anyone else email me and I can give more info.
snipped-for-privacy@soundsolutionsmd.com Owings Mills MD 21117
Think he could get warantee to cover this? It's not really normal wear and tear.
:-D I just cut the cheese!