Can I syphon the transaxle fluid out the filler pipe ?

I have a 1991 Buick Regal 3.8 auto that needs some fresh transaxle fluid . I am told I can syphon out the fluid from the pan from the filler pipe. Can I ? I don't want to drop the pan and change the
filter I just want to add some fresh fluid.
Should work, but you should expect that you will only change about 1/4 to 3/8 of the fluid in the trans as opposed to dropping the pan which would get you about 1/2.