Manual Transaxle Fluid ??

The Saturn Manual says to use Dextron 3. The only Dextron 3 that I could find at Walmart was Automatic Transmission Fluid. Can that be used for a manual transmission?? I could not find anything that said Dextron

3 Manual Transaxle Fluid.

Thanks, ~

Reply to
s0ylgr3n

Saturn's S-Series manual transmissions use automatic transmission fluid. The manual is correct.

Lane [ l a n e @ p a i r . c o m ] "Straights are for fast cars. Turns are for fast drivers."

Reply to
Lane

On a similar note. Does anybody have anything to add about transmission fluids/changes in general? I've sometimes heard people complain about Dexron III. I've also heard a mechanic say that he doesn't change transmission fluid for fear that it will upset whatever equilibrium has been established in the tranny. Comments?

Reply to
oligoguy

I'm a big proponent of doing regular transmission fluid and filter changes in all my families vehicles. Our '96 Saturn SL is the easiest since the filter is a spin on and there is a drain plug provided. (Chrysler does not provide a drain plug and uses RTV so dropping the pan while its still full is a "messy" job at best.) I always try to change the fluid and filter at

30K mile intervals and always use the manufacturer recommended fluid and never use any additives. I have done this for the last 10 years on the 5 different vehicles we currently own and never had any transmission problems with any. Our Saturn has about 124K miles, a '91 Mitsubishi (Chrysler manufactured trans) has 128K, and 3 other Chryslers ('96 thru '01) have between 38K and 72K miles.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Where is the refill for the manual tranny on the '01 model? I can't seem to find it, and think i need to change my fluid. I keep saying i am going to look next time i do an oil change, or am under the car for whatever reason, but keep forgetting. I know where the drain plug is, but can't find the fill, and don't want to drain, without being able to refill it. thanks for the help

Jeremiah

Reply to
Jeremiah

I have a '95 Saturn and I've just refilled it through the dipstick hole on the top of the transmission below the brake master cylinder. Northing's broken yet.

P. Wiebe

Jeremiah wrote:

Reply to
P. Wiebe