CHEVY SILVERADO antifreeze leak

Threaded View

Hello everyone,

                I have a problem with my truck(98 Chevy Silverado with
5.7) that I can't figure out, but every indication leads to the intake
gasket. Every time I start my truck, antifreeze is pouring, not
leaking, out. It is coming off the starter, but I'm sure it is coming
from above, just can't see it. Probably running down the back of the
block. I have had to add about a gallon every oil change, never had a
leak, could never seem to find where it was going. Has anyone had any
problem such as this, the research I have done on this truck seems to
be there is a problem with the intake gasket. Unless there is something
I am missing, any help would be appreciated.

Re: CHEVY SILVERADO antifreeze leak

Have you taken it to a MIDAS OR
somewhere just for a free estimate?

Re: CHEVY SILVERADO antifreeze leak

Inspection mirror on a telescoping rod, as it warms up after a cold start
you will see it leak.
It's a known issue with the 5.7
Get on it because it can leak coolant into the oil and that will hose the
motor bearings in a most silent and deadly manner.

Re: CHEVY SILVERADO antifreeze leak

Repairman,
                Thanks for the advise, going to replace gasket soon,
haven't driven it since I've seen the leak.

Re: CHEVY SILVERADO antifreeze leak

Re: CHEVY SILVERADO antifreeze leak

Group: alt.autos.gm Date: Sun, Sep 24, 2006, 12:51pm (EDT-3) From:
anthony_falcone2003@yahoo.com (72blazer)
Repairman,
A0A0A0A0A0A0A0A0A0A0A0A0
A0A0A0=A0Thanks
I've seen the leak. Repairman wrote:
Inspection mirror on a telescoping rod, as it warms up after a cold
start you will see it leak.
It's a known issue with the 5.7
Get on it because it can leak coolant into the oil and that will hose
the motor bearings in a most silent and deadly manner.
Hello everyone,
A0A0A0A0A0A0A0A0A0A0A0A0
A0A0A0=A0I
have a problem with my truck(98 Chevy Silverado with
5.7) that I can't figure out, but every indication leads to the intake
gasket. Every time I start my truck, antifreeze is pouring, not leaking,
out. It is coming off the starter, but I'm sure it is coming from above,
just can't see it. Probably running down the back of the block. I have
had to add about a gallon every oil change, never had a leak, could
never seem to find where it was going. Has anyone had any problem such
as this, the research I have done on this truck seems to be there is a
problem with the intake gasket. Unless there is something I am missing,
any help would be appreciated.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Before you tear into anything, check above the starter for a freeze
plug.   I had one that rusted out on an older 5.7 and it acted just as
you describe.

"Sometimes, when you're up to your butt in alligators, it's hard to
remember that the intial objective was to drain the swamp."
~ Unknown ~

Site Timeline