Antifreeze leak

Antifreeze is leaking from my '85 K5 Blazer with a 6.2L diesel. Not sure yet from where. Maybe the water pump. Hope not as it is expensive to have that type of work done on this because you have to take a part the whole front of the motor practically. So my question is, I was thinking of using that stop leak stuff. Anyone have any experience with this stuff? What is the best brand that works? In this situation, would this help? Thanks for the help.

Reply to
Mark G.

Why not use stop leak? Wouldn't do this myself, but take it to a mechanic. When I had it done on the old 6.2, it was over $1000 to fix.

Reply to
Mark G.

I wouldnt use any stop leak. I did the waterpump on the my dads 6.2 in an 84 chevy truck, it was no problem to get it done in one evening.

Reply to
William

Reply to
Mark G.

Do a search in the archives for this NG for "Fluctuating temp. gauge - solved!!" and you will get a real good idea of why to NEVER use this stuff (under any trade name).

If you have a problem, fix it, don't put a bandage on it. Locate the water leak and fix what is causing it. Keep in mind that "stop leak" stuff only may temporarily help a problem. The thing about this stuff is that when (not "if") the thing starts to give you fits again, you'll be in much more hurt than before.

$1000 to change out a water pump?? Find another mechanic. Incidentally, see if the 6.5 water pump will bolt up the same and if it's interchangable with the one from the 6.2. If so, then get a '97+ pump, as it moves about 70% more coolant.

Snowman

Reply to
Snowman

..

Antifreeze leak Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Mon, Oct 13, 2003, 7:57pm (CDT+8) From: cadman snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (Mark=A0G.)

Antifreeze is leaking from my '85 K5 Blazer with a 6.2L diesel. Not sure yet from where. Maybe the water pump. Hope not as it is expensive to have that type of work done on this because you have to take a part the whole front of the motor practically.

So my questions are, I was thinking of using that stop leak stuff.

1.... Anyone have any experience with this stuff?

2.... What is the best brand that works?

3..... In this situation, would this help?

Thanks for the help. =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Mark, answers to yer questions......

1..... Yes.

2..... pepper

3...... possibly

yer welcome

marshmonster ~:~suggests you fix it, or ...... youllllll beeeee sorrrrrryyyyy~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

yes, someone put that junk in my wife's burb cooling system before we bought it to "hide" something. It rared it's ugly head at me this summer and caused my problems of overheating cylinder(s), hot spots in the driver side head and many days of pulling my hair out trying to isolate the trouble before I pulled the heads.

Chunks of this stuff fell out of the head, upon removal. Head gasket problem at the same time? Couldn't really tell - appeared to possibly one bad spot, but not definate. The stop leak junk was the worst part of the whole deal. Had I known that was in there, I could have pulled the heads to begin with knowing there would be clogged cooling passages and been done with it to start. That is this stuff's job - to plug up holes. Fact is that it doesn't discern between the "good ones" and the "bad ones."

See the comments from vlj, as he's got some good info there.

Snowman

Reply to
Snowman

Antifreeze leak

Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Mon, Oct 13, 2003, 7:57pm (CDT+8) From: cadman snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (Mark G.)

Thanks for the help. ====== ====== Mark, answers to yer questions......

1..... Yes.

2..... pepper

3...... possibly

yer welcome

marshmonster ~:~suggests you fix it, or ...... youllllll beeeee sorrrrrryyyyy~:~

Reply to
sidewinder

Reply to
Mark G.

Reply to
Mark G.

Thanks.

[snip]

Mark,

Probably, you are welcome. I figure since all I can gather from your posts is that its both 80K and 18 years old, it "probably could be," toast and should have gone out.

With the consideration of $60/hr labor, lets say, [estimating], total hours would be about 4 and one half. I would "guess" it would take half that at most. Thats a guess mind you. That leaves 137.50 for the water pump. Sorry I don't have time to look up parts prices for you tonight.

Hatt

Reply to
DJ Hatt

Mark,

Did you check to see if the 97+ water pump for the 6.5 TD will fit your engine? If so, then you may want to consider this, since it moves a much higher volume of water.

Snowman

Reply to
Snowman

Reply to
Mark G.

moves a much

Reply is to: Mark,

Depends on how much you charge for your time, [how much its worth to you, your muscle, tool payments, and/or your sweat and blood per hour], I'd guess.

I like to stand off, if its at the dealer and watch the tech spend about 3/4's of the time totally out and away from the vehicle he's working on. Peekin around the corner looking to see if you are still there. And they still get it done in half the time!

Hatt

Reply to
DJ Hatt

Reply to