day time lights

Page 3 of 11
wrote:

You have to be one of the most incompetent posters I have ever seen. Sure, there are people out there who don't want the DRL's. What about the people who *do* want them? Do they not count? Also, I find it amusing how you "pick-and-choose" as to what comments you wish to respond too. You have lost, Larry. Get over it.

The people who want DRLs have a voice and there have been reasoned postings by those folks. They do count, absolutely. Pick and choose, hmmm, you know the failure is for you to stay on topic. What you think is picking and choosing is not responding to reasoned statements that have relevance on their own. You are mistaken in that you don't realize that it is you that have created this situation, only you to blame, the rest of us were trying to have a discussion and you interrupted into a topic that you don't care about.
Anyway, I didn't know this was a win or lose situation, is there a medal that you win on this thread? The winners are not those that scream the loudest, like you. The winners are those that can carry out a reasoned discussion.
Your opinions, just like mine, are not the be all and end all. The ideas presented are and you are standing in the way of the information flow. I am sorry that you don't understand how this works :(.

"The rest of us were trying to have a discussion". Who are they? The voices in your head? All you have done is give bad points, and annoy people. And yes, you do pick and choose as to what to reply too.

And now you try and make everyone feel sorry for you. How pitiful. If you knew how to have a real debate, this may have been interesting. And you are correct, this isn't a "win or loose" situation. However, I don't believe it is fair for you to say DRL's should be taken off all markets, only because *you* don't like them.

Did you just admit that other (even pro-DRL) opinions count? If so, we might be getting somewhere.

I am standing in the way of nothing. I am telling you what I think of the information you have presented.
"However, I don't believe it is fair for you to say DRL's should be taken off all markets, only because *you* don't like them. "
Hey Knight, greetings there. I am only addressing the U.S. market specifically. Sharon referenced the different elevation and ambient light differences and I agree with that assessment. Things are different down here and the discussion is mainly about the U.S. I am sorry that you did not realize this.
"Did you just admit that other (even pro-DRL) opinions count? If so, we might be getting somewhere. "
Duh, why you didn't realize this from the start???
Thanks for chiming in :),
Larry

And yet, most of the links you and Sharon point me towards are from other countries. The most recent was from Australia.

Perhaps because I only read what is in a post, not what is on a person's mind.

The problem is that there is a decided lack of studies on the subject. The U.S. is in a malaise on the issue, with the on but no officially endorsed stance. However, Europe and Australia were in the midst of following in the footsteps of Canada and it stirred up debate and more studies. I really wish there was more data available that would shed more light on the subject.

Yeah, we all do it. And, of course we have a tendency to look on with the filter of our own perspectives, as well.

With so little studies done, I am surprised you are so adamant about making DRL's illegal.

I have no agenda. My car has DRL's, and I don't have a problem with that. If it didn't have them, I would be equally as happy. I read the facts, that is all. You are the one who sees what you wish too.

They were illegal in 22 states (including mine) prior to 1994. I want the state laws to apply again. So, yes, I believe in states rights and that a government agency should not have been able to overturn the laws in those states. I would just like for things to return back to normal when we didn't have the glare and the police would stop you and remind you to turn your lights off. It was better then.

No problem with that, we all have our perspectives and opinions. Talking about stuff freely helped people to understand each other. I see the facts differently ;). We all see things as we wish to, not just me.

So - it's safe to say that this is more of an issue of state's rights for you, and that the DRL issue is just a banner to wave in that battle? Well guess what - I'm 100% with you on the issue of state's rights. I'm not with you on the DRL issue, but I am on the state's rights issue.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

I personally dislike the lights, that is obvious. But the states rights thing does burn me in a big way. I do feel that the individual states should be able to regulate their own affairs within the rights afforded to them in the Constitution. A good example is how the federal government has the states over the proverbial barrel on the basis of highway funds, grant or other public payouts that they threaten to with-hold if the state does not comply. Even when a rule makes sense, it still should be up to the states. I big example was the 55 national speed limit. Other examples are seatbelt laws, drinking age, drunk driving BAC levels, and so forth. The Feds step in and use a form of blackmail to force them to pass the legislation they want. Anyway, thanks for mentioning that :).

For starters, I have never, ever heard of a Police Officer stopping someone to ask them to turn there lights off. Has this happened to you? As for your position, I see no difference between DRL's and seatbelts. Once, both were unheard of, now, not so.

Therein lies the problem. You see the DRL issue exactly have you wish too. You can't separate fact from fiction, and you are determined to have them banned. And yet, you haven't posted any solid proof as to why they should be.

I understand, it used to happen around here on a regular basis. In fact, regular citizens used to remind other to turn their lights off during the day. That changed in 94.
You don't see a difference, fine. However, seatbelts clearly save lives and you wearing your seatbelt has no impact on other drivers. DRLs are not proven as a safety feature and impact others. I can't put them together as equals.

This is all your opinion, as far as I know I have presented plenty of information on the subject. But, since you have two disparate viewpoints on this, then we have to agree to disagree. I don't deal with fiction in my life, do you?
That is easy for you to determine the differance. For one, seat belts are INSIDE the car and DRL are OUTSIDE, just look at the car and you can tell the difference at a glance LOL
mike
wrote in message>> They were illegal in 22 states (including mine) prior to 1994. I want

Mike Hunter wrote:

Yes, the differences between seat belts and DRLs is obvious: the seat belts are a PROVEN life-saving device and bother no one else on the road. OTOH, the DRLs are an unnecessary distraction that bothers many people and may even CAUSE loss of life (as in motorcycle riders). Remember," The freedom for you to swing your arm ends where my nose begins", and this principle applies quite handily to DRLs. :) The howler monkeys and their self-imagined "wit" can chime in any time on this commentary.

Yawn. You are just like Larry. No evidence, and tons of lies. At least Larry sounds sane, unlike yourself.
80 Knight wrote:

Stats have been cited over & over again, so I suggest that you remove your head from its usual resting place and look around. What lies? As far as sanity goes, I'm not the one that believes motor vehicles should have their lights on in broad daylight in order to be seen by other drivers. To me, THAT concept smacks of insanity. :)

Just like people believe the world is round and people can actually stand on the bottom of it and not fall off. How about that you can push electricity through a solid wire. Those concepts smack of insanity also.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Not to people that are smart enough to actually understand how things work. :)

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz -lame. No valid comparison in that comment.

The only thing lame is the people (like yourself) taking this whole argument so serious with half baked facts. Save your passions and emotions for things that matter in life.