dumped my chevy venture

Page 1 of 2
Aftead 150140 miles, having persistent brake problems which culminated with having to stop with my foot to the floor, overheating, a shorting drivers side window switch, a transmission going out again, and the
indigenous rusting of the rear lift points and rocket panels, I got rid of my 1998 chevy venture. I figured it was time to stop dumping money and worry into it.
Good luck GM.
On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 09:44:49 -0800, Walt fired up the etcha-a-sketch and scratched out:

Wow, that must suck.
Having an 11-year-old minivan that is having a few issue.
Do yourself a favor before trolling out on usenet.
(I can't bash you too bad, because even though you're on Windows, you a least are using Firefox.)
Check the cost of a new car - including taxes and insurance. Amortize that monthly over five years.
Now take the monthly cost - including taxes and insurance - of your current minivan.
If the cost of the new car is less than the ongoing maintenance of the minivan, it is a no-brainer. Dump the minivan (give it to charity) and buy a new car.
If the cost of the new car is more than the minivan then you need to decide if you just *want* a change or not.
--
perfectreign
www.perfectreign.com || www.ecmplace.com

The body rust, along with the abs system problems (needed to replace a sensor because the wiring got severed, and then also fix the connecting wiring harness), the abs controller acting up, the internal leak of the master cylinder, a ghost antifreeze leak, morning upper engine noise, leaking weatherstripping, the rusting of the body which would lead into the subframe, the shorting window switch (which caused me to disconnect them), a broken passenger side power mirror, a broken spare tire hoist, acorroded wheels which caused the tires to leak, needing another transmission rebuild (or replacement), basically said get rid of the thing.
Walt wrote:

I am surprised ou did so well.
I got rid of my last GM product back in 1984 after nine months. That was a Buick Century and it was a dangerous POS!

JimG wrote:

What did me in was my 2001 Regal. Going up the interstate in Missouri when the transmission decided to drop all power at 65mph... with a 18 wheeler behind us honking and braking....that was it's 3rd++ breakedown in 16,500 miles.
My wife would never drive it again. We hobbled into Home Arkansas where it too was 9 days to get it fixed. On the 5th day I told the dealer to quit wasting time while GM approval stalled, get me a new replacement and I would take payment up with my lawyer with Wisconsin lemon law.
Never saw them move so fast, they got someone to drive a new one down from St. Louis and still screwed up putting it in. If you hit a bump it would down shift. Had to have the console replaced when we got home.
Never did quite cover the car rental either...BS waranty.
Last GM I will ever even drive. The first thing I ask when booking a car, GM no thank-you.

On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 19:01:08 -0700, Canuck57 fired up the etcha-a-sketch and scratched out:

To the OP - why was it dangerous?
IIRC, the quality of those years was questionable (I learned to drive on an '84 Cutlass.) but dangerous?
Not like the Honda Civic of the time.

So...
...other than being a fscking troll, what exactly are you doing in a GM group?
--
perfectreign
www.perfectreign.com || www.ecmplace.com
PerfectReign wrote:

How was the Honda Civic dangerous at that time? From what I've heard, Honda was making great quality cars at the time. I'd be surprised to hear about them being dangerous.
Eric
On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 21:54:23 -0800, Eric O. fired up the etcha-a-sketch and scratched out:

There was an article I read a couple of years back, when gas prices were in the $5.00/gallon range.
One analyst mentioned the '80's honda civic, which got something like 40 MPG.
However, they said it got such mileage because it saved weight by not having an airbag, no crumple zones and very light sheet metal.
He went on to say, that he'd not want to get in even a small fender- bender while driving one of those.
This was in comparison to the current Civic which is considered much more safe. (However, I think I've driven over a few in my truck but I don't really know.)
--
perfectreign
www.perfectreign.com || www.ecmplace.com
PerfectReign wrote:

like 40

hmm..
As a side note, the thing about air bags is interesting, because I didn't think airbags were very common back then anyway. I seem to remember airbags becoming a lot more widespread in the late 80s to early 90s.
Eric

MB was putting in air-bags in the 80s, and other high end makers were starting. It was not until the early 90s that they became more common in cars.

GM first put air bags in cars as a option in 74 or 75 didn't have many customers buy it. the cannister for the air was huge and mounted behind the dash. I saw a demo at the tech center in 73
On Sat, 05 Dec 2009 00:27:25 -0800, Eric O. fired up the etcha-a-sketch and scratched out:

IIRC, the point wasn't that Honda cars in particular were unsafe, just that the older cars did not have modern safety features, which the new cars have and cause weight gain.
So even a compact like a Malibu or a sub-compact like a Civic or Cobolt or Aveo will be safer than the 80's era cars.
(My '87 Nissan pickup didn't have airbags either.)
--
perfectreign
www.perfectreign.com || www.ecmplace.com
PerfectReign wrote:

Yeah, I don't think it makes sense to specifically name the 80s Honda Civic as being unsafe when its safety was probably comparable to other cars of the time.
Eric

I had one, an '80, got it used in '94 with 46k miles on it from a old lady who bought it new. It was a Civic wagon . Bought it for a beater for $400 What a POS, a beer can on wheels. 1.5 L CVCC 56hp with a 2 speed Hondamatic, top speed 80mph. My '64 beetle felt safer but not as quick. LOL Paint had peeled off to the primer, interior plastic cracked and seat fabric was just disintegrating. CV joints were bad by 60k. Gave it away after 2yr, I think the circus has it for a clown car. Any 70's US car was far superior than that POS, even a AMC Matador from the '70's. (another story)
.
Repairman wrote:

That's interesting - I've always heard that Japanese import cars from Honda and Toyota were booming in popularity in the US in the late 70s and the 80s for their relatively high reliability compared to American cars (and their fuel economy, too). That one must have been unusually bad for some reason, or perhaps not well taken care of by its previous owner.
Eric

You heard wrong, they all where POS crap. Rust dissolved them faster than US cars. Plastic parts? Crap wasn't even plastic, it was compressed rice the way it held up, same as Chinese crap today. Only reason they sold was good gas mileage for commuters / cheapskates in that fuel fiasco at the time. The one I had averaged 3300 miles / yr when I got it, WTF a old lady beat it, bullshit, It was typical import crap that fell apart when it was parked.
Repairman wrote:

Hmm, you're the only person I've ever heard say that. I actually saw a lot of older Honda and Toyota cars on the road for quite a while, which wouldn't make sense if most of them fell apart as bad as you say.

lol, compressed rice? lol..

lol, cheapskates? I've heard that it was actually the government that came up with a schedule for certain people to buy gas on certain days.

She probably didn't beat it up, but sometimes it's hard to know if the previous owner took it in for its routine/regular maintenance, etc. or just let things fall apart.
Besides, you said that was a 1980 model car and you bought it in 1994? It was already 14 years old, so it was bound to have some things go wrong sooner or later. Time ages things too, not just mileage.

I know of a couple of 1980 Toyotas that ran very well at over 250,000 miles on them, but hte bodies were full of holes. I'm talking front fenders with 6" dia holes in them. An early 1990 Toyota has 385,000 miles, same thing. Look like crap, but still runs. These are in New England climates.
PerfectReign wrote:

Making sure people know GM is a sucking on taxes.
I would be here if some idiot politician didn't take out massive quantities of debt for GM. Messing up customers is one thing. Usin the tax system in a marxist way to support GM to me is a moral crime. And perhaps someday people will realize it as a criminal one.
GM has not rights to taxes on peoples pay cheques. None at all. Might as well belong to the mafia as opposed to supporting government/GM for insane moves like that.
And it appears GM has ticked off more than a few.