egr valve troubleshooting

Greetings,

For emissions inspection on a 1996 chevy lumina (with the peeling paint option and 120k miles) I am trying to resolve codes:

P0401 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Flow Insufficient P1406 - EGR Valve Pintle Position Circuit

I am working without a scantool. Using the Haynes manual as reference, the correct voltages are making it to the egr. The the coil reads about 10 ohms and the pintle sensor about 4k. There was not much carbon built up on the port or pintle.

The hose that enters the bottom of the egr valve goes through a plate that receives the egr mounting bolts. Is there a name for that plate? The guy at autozone couldn't find it on his system. I'd like to see one so I could compare it to what I see on mine.

I'm limited as to what I can see without pulling it out of there and I would feel alot more comfortable if I knew it was bad. The hose seems to slide through the hole in the plate pretty freely, as if there is no mechanical connection. Could that be the cause?

Thanks, Chris

Reply to
Chris Kassopulo