"ENVIRONUST"

Page 2 of 4

No.
Someone is funding the work of the "sky is falling" scientist as well. I read more articles that alleged that scientist that didn't the chant the "global warming is all our fault" mantra lost funding for their research.
You are willing to believe that corporations influence research by who they fund. Why don't you believe the same about other funding sources?
Suppose I was a professor and wanted to get funding for my climate study and I said, "I don't believe man is causing Global Warming and I want to prove it." Who is going to fund me? NOAA? The Republicans? The only likely funding sources are oil, gas, and coal industry groups.
Ed

In between oil companies and Greenpeace, there is a wide spectrum of funding sources, many of which will not lean on researchers to bias their work in a particular way. But, for purposes of this newsgroup discussion, these foundations and other organizations are assumed to not exist. Imagine what could happen if someone mentioned the name of a foundation, and one of the cave people here (Scott, for instance) recalled hearing that the foundation donated money to NPR. Oh my.

That the vast majority of scientists believe that man is playing a significant role in global warming.
ToMh wrote:

How does it prove that ? I believe that's yet more AGW propaganda.
The number of sceptical scientists seems to be on the increase.
Graham
wrote

One thing everyone agrees on is that what we add to the atmosphere has an effect. It is impossible for it NOT to have an effect. Defining the effect is another story....

No they don't.
--
Tegger

That's just ignorant. That is a fact, unless of course you can prove otherwise? I'm not saying science is a democracy, but what I said is indeed a fact.
: > That the vast majority of scientists believe that man is playing a : > significant role in global warming.
Oh please.... And man lived with dinosaurs on a 6000 year old Earth. I know it's true because there is a museum in KY that says so!

So the opinion of the vast majority of scientist has always been right?
Two more random thoughts:
- The environment has never been stable. There have been periods that were hotter than now, and periods that were cooler. Why is this change so different that we are sure it is our fault? - Suppose everything the global warming fans says is true - is the end result good or bad?
Ed
ToMh wrote:

Are you sure that's not itself just more AGW propaganda ?
Graham

How can you "deny" something that is pure conjecture to begin with?

There is plenty of open-minded discussion -- ignored by the activists.
It's easy to find. Google, for example, these names: Richard Lindzen Zbigniew Zawaowski Habibullo Abdussamatov Hendrik Svensmark Nir Shaviv David Orrell Nigel Weiss
Or you can just follow the link below...

Not even close. Outside of the mainstream media and the activists, man's role in global warming is very much in question, with most scientists saying there's precious little evidence that man has any effect at all on global temperatures.
www.nationalpost.com Search that site for a lengthy series called "The Deniers".
Oh, and that IPCC summary? Even it says there's no real evidence man has anything to do with it, once you get past the scary sea-level-rise bumpf. Go read it -- the parts BEFORE the conclusion --, you'll see.

Of course. I regularly buy gas to put in my car so it will get me to work. Does that count?
--
Tegger

in

Talk about close minded.

I'm sure there is, and more so by the conservatives.

Name one major scientific organization that agree's with this. I'm waiting.

I think there is credible evidence to the contrary. I'm open to all sides of the debate, unlike you.

wrote:>>

The answers are in those articles I reference below. Go look them up.

--
Tegger

Sorry, not one major scientifc organization is mentioned, only individual scientists. Interesting reading though.

An "organization" is a political entity without existence outside of the individuals that make them up.
It is silly to suggest that ideas are valid only when promoted by individuals in charge of an organization.
It is equally silly to suggest that ideas are unsound which are not associated with an organization.
Established science these days would not exist at all had it not been for those determined individuals who refused to toe the orthodox party line.
Everything from modern astronomy to microbial diseases originated with renegade individuals who discovered flaws in the prevailing orthodoxy, and who refused to knuckle under to the orthodoxy, sometimes even under threat of death. All those radical theories are now themselves the accepted orthodoxy.
I don't believe you even looked up any of those articles. There are over two dozen of them.
--
Tegger

That makes zero sense, like most of your arguments.

Never said that, just pointing out that the majority of scientists believe.

Again, never said that.

That's true, but has nothing to do with the fact that the majority of scientists, based on the evidence given, believe that man plays a significent role in global warming.

Sure, but pointless to the argument.

No I didn't read them all, so if there was a majore scientific organiztion that has changed their stance on global warmng, please point it out.

Tegger wrote:

Yes I know what you mean !

I doubt that 'Mother Nature' has anything to do with it in reality. Persuing some mildly cranky agenda based on a mixture of scientific half-truths and envy and a desire to impose an alternative lifestyle on the broader population seems to be more like it.
Graham

I think you ignored part of what Fred said because it's not exciting.
The same changes that will reduce pollution (a good idea that nobody disagrees with) may come with a bonus, ***IF*** it turns out that our burning of fossil fuels contributes to global warming.
Get it?
Work to fix a problem that everyone agrees is a problem, and maybe you get a bonus in terms of minimizing another problem. Of course, this sentence is only true for people who acknowledge that some places have nasty air quality problems.

So then I would like to put you in jail, permamently. Because you ***MIGHT*** one day commit murder.
Get it?
--
Tegger

Bad analogy. All sentient beings agree that smog is bad, and the various ways of reducing it have been 100% accepted for many years.
Here's another analogy: Your doctor says if you don't lose weight, you've got a good chance of having a fatal heart attack within the coming year. Bonus: It might also help with your knee problems.
Wanna put your doctor in jail, too?