Re: Why Toyota are over priced

Unless one intends to buy a used car from a particular era the only comparison one can make is between those that are available among todays new cars. My vast experience in the business has show me that when it comes to what one can buy today the only real difference is style and price, period.

An Associated press release in today Tribune Newspapers bears out what I have been saying for some time in the NGs. The leading brand in five categories in the annual vehicle quality study released by Strategic Vinson Inc. San Diego based research company concludes that todays car and trucks are "at a point where the differences from brand to brand are meaning less!" All manufactures are building good quality long lasting vehicles clustered between a few point on the scale

"Buyers should be more interested in dealer service, features, STYLE and the PRICE than the manufacture." I would add parts costs, as well.

The top brand in the survey of owners was Hyundai! Besting all was the Azera among large cars, Santa Fe among small SUVs, the Entourage was tied for best minivan with the Quest and the Sedona. The Kia Sorento topped the medium size SUVs. Highly regarded Toyota went from leading in four groups in 2006, down to one in 2007

BMW lead in three categories, Nissan, Ford Motor company and Daimler-Chrysler led in three each.

The average new vehicles rated 864, on a 1000 point scale in 2007, up from

861 in 2006 and 861 in 1998.

>> Our 72 Carina was a HOT little number compared to the Corvair it >> replaced. 88 hp vs 80, weighed a good bit less and 4 speeds vs 2. We used >> to say the Powerglide tranny had 2 speeds: Slow and Stop. The paint was >> a LOT better, too. We had to replace the passenger side floor twice on >> the Corvair. > > So you are comparing a 7 or 8 year old Corvair to a then new Toyota? You > ever read what a 1967Toyota was like? > > From
:> > "By 1967, Toyota had become well established in the United States, albeit > as a niche player. The Corona four-door sedan was seen as competing mainly > against the Volkswagen Beetle, though this was hardly fair to the modern > Corona, with its relatively large interior space and relatively > comfortable ride. The Corona was known from its early days for quality as > well as a low price, though rust was a serious problem until the late > 1970s, causing more than one Corona to simply rust in half before it > became old enough to have mechanical problems." > > Ed >
Reply to
Mike Hunter

I was looking for a utility vehicle, 4WD, V6 or V8, 20+MPG, leather seats, 12V Adapters, Inverter (not mandatory), the toys when it comes to electronics, Sun-Roof, ability to control the 4WD, HID lights, and comfort.

I went online and did all of the research, Ford - nope, Chevy - nope, Accura - to expensive vs what I bought, Merc - to expensive vs what I bought, Lexus - same, Subaru - close, but size vs expense, Saturn - nope, Dodge - the Nitro came close as did another Dakota Quad 4x4 - but not int he gas area, Nissan - not what I wanted, Honda - same, Toyota offered the FJ and the 4Runner in what I wanted, the only reason I didn't go with the FJ was the stupid doors and the damn two-color paint (if it had been a solid color I would have bought one). The 4Runner, owned it now for 3+ months, has been all that I anticipated and because of their screwing around on financing I've not been billed yet and it looks like my first payment won't be until July (with no late/interest)

- that's 5 months without a payment on it :)

Reply to
Leythos

And GM .... ???

BTW; I just read the review for Chevy Cobalt at EDMUNDS...... I see GM still hasen't figured out how to make compact cars.

...of course, when you can sell one Silverado for $48,000.... why try to sell 3 Cobalts for the same profit ?

Reply to
Anonymous

I see you chose to snip the part where it said ALL manufactures are bunched together and any differences from brand to brand are meaningless. As I pointed out the only real difference is style and price ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter