Gas Prices a big scam

Page 1 of 2
Price of gas over the last few months have risen not because of shortages but because of speculation of what the industry thought might happen do to
world events. These events never happened yet prices never went down. Now do to the floods in the Gulf states something did happen yet prices were already inflated because of things that did not happen yet prices have again began to rise. Prices have already been compensated for things that did not happen yet the American people are getting screwed again just because something finally did happen. Yep folks its all a big scam and it wouldn't surprise me a bit if oil men like the Bush family are profiting from this scam. I would imagine Condi Rice is doing quite well also with her connections to the slimey oil companies.
Yep. But what can you do?

For starters, do not buy gas on September 1st (today now). Get it tomorrow if you must, but don't get it today. Even if the gas companies loose one day's worth of profits, it just might make them think twice about what they are doing. And we should do this often. I know people can not live without gas. They simply can not do it, but we can all put in effort and choose a day once a week or so that no one buys gas. Get it the day before or the day after if you must, but not on that day. It will show them. This second recommendation I heard somewhere: If everyone went to there gas station's, put in exactly $6.21 worth of gas, took there time doing it, then took there time to wash all windows, check oil, trans fluid and what not, then took there time in paying as well. This would eat into the gas companies dollars because we are taking so much time to do it. Oh, and the $6.21? The 6th letter in the alphabet is 'F' and the 21st is 'U'. I mean no offence to anyone who read's this, but I think those two letters basically describes what most people think of gas prices right now.

What the Hell does it matter if you buy gas on a certain day or not? So they make that day's profits on the day before or the day after your "no buy gas" day. You still use the same amount in the long run. It will only matter if you don't DRIVE for a day.
Besides, if gas had risen at the inflation rate for the past 20 years it would be over three bucks by now. Don't blame the oil companies. Blame that 4500-pound SUV in your neighbor's driveway. It was all fun and games when gas was cheap in the 90's. Let's buy BIG vehicles to show how stylish and cool we are. Time to pay the piper now.

You are 1000% right Lee

Fact is there has not been a new refinery built in this country in over 20 yr. . Supply vs. demand and the loss of several refineries due to the storm equals a shorter supply. Plenty of crude just not enough capacity to make it into usable fuels and get it out to us folk. Don't blame the oil companies blame those who are against building a refinery so we have enough capacity here at home to make what we need when a natural disaster shuts down the few refineries we have.
--
John
Absolutely correct.

So you are volunteering to put a refinery in your back yard? Quit bitching unless you can walk the walk.
The same people that complain about high price gas are the ones that don't allow nuke plants or refineries in their backyard.
I made the choice of moving into an apartment building across the street from where I work, I drive less than 1500 miles a year anymore, I did my bit to cut gas consumption.
I laugh at $5 a gallon gas, even at that price it will still be less than I spend on car insurance each year. If I had my way, gas would be $50 a gallon, then the streets would be a whole hell of lot less busy, with less people on the road my bicycle would be a lot safer.
Oil company profits this last 3 months could of built 3 new high tech refinery's

Go live somewhere where gasoline is cheaper. Oh, wait... LOL !
The following link was most recently updated about 5 months ago, a comparo for fuel prices:
http://www.photius.com/rankings/gasoline_prices_rank.html
And remember: there's an infinite amount of fossil fuel, enough to last us forever and ever and ever, and we'll never, ever run out--it's like air or something--right? Plus we're using less and less of it--right?
There's no shortage of it, never was, nor ever can be, silly! It's forever and ever!!
So the price should NEVER go up. LOL
Oh, and the whole thing about that it causes air pollution? Don't you believe it. It's GOOD for the atmosphere.
Glad I could set everybody straight on this.
From what I heard we have not buit a new refinery in over 40 years to protect the environment. Also what ever happened to all that Alaskan oil. I remeber all the opposition to the pipeline when it was being built but they said it would help reduce our need for Arabian oil. Someone said all the Alaskan oil is being sent to China & Japan.

"Steve Rabinowitz" wrote:

Actually there has been some refineries built and one corperation is trying to build on using high sulpher oil that other refineries do not want (it is cheaper to by but cost more to refine). Every drop of the Alaskan oil has gone to Japan since day one because it has a higher sulpher content and is not as profitable for US refineries to use. If they tap the AWNR in AK it will go to China or Japan to and not a drop will get here (Bush does not tell you that) because of same sulpher problem. The days of cheap oil is over and if you are holding uout for cheap gas, do not hold your breath. I look for it to be $4/gallon in US by next fall.

What are you smoking? You think prices went from $1.50 to $3.50 in 2 years because of the SUV's, overpowered pickups and vans that have owned the road for the last 10 ??
Nice logic.
No, it went up because we're all driving fuel efficient vehicles and not driving more than we have to. It went up because our usage finally overwhelmed our refining capacity. Believe it or not, when you waste fuel like we do, it can happen in two years.
Let me guess....you're part of the "blame the oil companies" crowd, right?

Yea, but the people who do the right thing by driving reasonable cars are getting screwed too.
I wouldn't mind high gas prices to discourage consumption if it were due to taxes that would benefit society. But when it goes to benefit already rich people and companies-that is just wrong.

You are mostly right. A day of boycott would only be helpful if it raised awareness of the problem. And WE are a big part of the problem, and need our awareness raised.
The oil companies have made record profits, no doubt. That is clear in Exxon's most recent financials. (When this has happened in the past...and it HAS happened in the past.... the majors have their accountants working nights trying to find ways to diminish the appearance of the windfalls. The publicity can be unpleasant..)
But we dont control the oil companies. We can only control how we plan and how we respond to increasing energy costs.
Our daughter just HAD to have a new SUV, even though we tried to tell her that it was perhaps not the wisest choice. At $3.00 per gallon, her budget will now have a stake in her energy education.
We all learn the hard way when we're young!

Actually tighten your belt and go for one day without using any gas. It would be an exercise in conservationism. Done weekly, it might take a lot of lard off the American ass. It would certainly take a lot of butter from the Arabs and the major oil companies.
On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 04:55:13 -0400, "80 Knight"

Explain how they are going to lose a penny? You still need the gas and are going to buy it. Just not today.

They would loose the money from that particular day. Sure, they would still make money the next day and the next day after that but we have to do something to show them we will not put up with there prices. Suggestions?