GM closes Venezuela plant, fueling economic fears

I wonder why they didn't just shutdown the US and make them all in Venezuela? US is too expensive.

GM closes Venezuela plant, fueling economic fears GM closes Venezuela plant, suspending local car production and fueling economic fears CARACAS, Venezuela (AP) -- General Motors Corp.'s Venezuela affiliate temporarily shuttered a local assembly plant on Friday, suspending all car production in Venezuela and boosting fears that the closure could further slow sputtering economic growth.

GM suspended operations for at least three months at its auto assembly plant in Venezuela's central Carabobo state, affecting 1,600 full-time employees who will see their salaries cut to minimum wage during the shutdown. A smaller plant that produces trucks will continue operating in a nearby town.

Car sales soared in Venezuela in recent years as high oil prices fueled a consumer spending boom. In March, the sector employed 40,000 people and indirectly created another 100,000 jobs, according to Venezuela's Automotive Chamber.

GM is the country's largest automaker, producing more than half of the

54,000 cars assembled in the first five months of 2009, according to the chamber.

But auto output had already declined by 9.7 percent this year through May as government currency controls restricted imports, pushing GM to close its doors.

The controls, imposed by President Hugo Chavez in 2003, have prevented GM from getting the dollars it needs to import car parts, stalling sales and leaving the company with $1.2 billion in debts to foreign suppliers that it can't get the dollars it needs to pay up.

But lower oil prices, now 51 percent below July's peak, have left crude-reliant Venezuela without its main source of foreign currency, making it more reluctant to part with dollar reserves and forcing it to cut back on dollar sales to importers.

GM's operations could be halted for more than three months if the company doesn't get permission to buy dollars soon, GM's Venezuela chief Ronaldo Znidarsis said in May.

The government plans to sell auto manufacturers $2.5 billion in dollars this year so they can buy car parts, Trade Minister Eduardo Saman said on Thursday -- though he did not say when that sale would happen or if GM would benefit.

"We know when we're leaving, but we don't know when we're coming back," a GM official said, asking not to be identified because she said she was not authorized to talk to reporters.

Local businessmen worry that GM's shutdown will slow other sectors of Venezuela's economy, said Tulio Hidalgo, president of the Carabobo state chapter of the Fedecamaras business chamber.

Venezuela's economy expanded by 0.3 percent in the first quarter, down from

5 percent in the year-ago period.

Hidalgo said that nearly 45 percent of Carabobo's small and medium-sized businesses -- from banks that provide consumer credit, to transport service companies -- will be affected by reduced automotive output.

Ford Motor Co., Chrysler Llc, Toyota Motor Corp., Mitsubishi Motors Corp., Mack de Venezuela and Iveco Venezuela also produce cars in Venezuela, but haven't closed any plants this year -- though Toyota and Mitsubishi both briefly halted production amid labor strikes.

In May, GM said it employed 4,000 people in Venezuela and had indirectly created another 70,000 jobs.

Reply to
Canuck57

I don't have sympathies for thos that buy a GM in these times. You would have to discount it 50% from sale prices to get me to buy one. Just had a telemarketing call in fact, told them right out. No way am I going to buy a car now, and never will it have GM, GMAC, Chrysler, UAW/CAW involved in it when I do.

I don't patronize corruption.

The real reason those plants are adding a shift is efficiencies. Close 10 plants, add one shift isn't something that great, it is basic efficiencies.

GM is doomed, just going to take some more time and more billions of taxpayers dollars before someone is DC stops talking jive-turkey and realizes you can't make pigs fly.

Canuck57

For a guy who professes to know so much about automobile manufacturing, you don't know $#it! What makes you believe a manufacturer can simply move production of one chassis to another facility? Are you really that dumb?

Do you really think anybody are were you spend your money

Mike

Labor is not cheap in Venezuela, due to the communist reforms of Hugo "El Chancho" Chavez.

Any foreign company would be well advised to study that situation very carefully before trying to enter there, or deciding whether to stay there.

Reply to
HLS

Is the announced new plant in Brazil still being built??

Reply to
Anyolmouse

I used to work in flex manufacturing for many years designing and writting software. It didn't take us very long to gear up to change processes. In fact on some lines only a minute or two while a robot changed configuration itself. In fact we stole orders from other plants routinely because they would take a day and we could do it in minutes. And that was in the 80's.

Our scheduling was advanced, you could order stuff at 8am and call us by 4pm and it was on the way.... it had 1000's discreate parts in it to, automated the hell out of it.... Inventory? Hardly any. We had some on the input because some parts came from the orient. For the orient we had predictive programs that ran ever hour anticipating input requirements right down to shipping times and small time padding to keep inventories low but adaquate. But if local, we had them do the same for our frames and parts, JIT. Output inventory was ZERO. If it wasn't sold (or a demo), we didn't make it.

Took years to get it that way. But killed the competion.

But then, that is why GM is toast. Still into one plant one frame myopic batch mentality. If management was smart (and they are not) a plant should be able to manufacture 4-8 models per same line!!! Even back to back with different models, colors and options. They would stop guessing what the customer wants and do JIT right now. Anyone gets in the way of true JIT gets so fired.

Management would decide the right inventory and no car is built unless it is to fill the gap. None of this crap of building them to find out they are not the hot item BS. Flooding dealers with unwanted inventory is crap. Have just one of each type on the lot and custom build every customers desire. Order on Friday and take delivery on Tuesday.

If one plant gets short of time on order input, the next plant with idle time gears up in a day... not a week, month or billion dollars later... RFN.

Quit squirting around and wating taxpayers cash, China and India are ready to eat what is left of GM alive. Time to stop the bullshit and change, or die. Better find something to differentate yourselves pretty damned quick.

BTW, looks like the neighbor traded in the Cadillac for a Lexus. LOL.

It would be good to be a GM mfg. exec with a big stick....

Canuck57

Be the only, but good reason to shut it down then. GM should look at Ford in Brazil.

Reply to
Canuck57

Like said, for a guy who professes to know so much about AUTOMOBILE manufacturing, you don't know $#it!

An AUTOMOBILE manufacturer can NOT simply move production of one chassis to another facility that was building vehicles on another chassis, it is like saying they can use the same equipment to make boats, dummy.

Mike

Looks like Honda can.

Think, Honda can switch to cars to trucks and back again based on consumber demand. GM method requires at least 2 or plants to do the same thing. Which drives capital and labour costs into insolvancy.

I submit you know jack $hit, and more on Jack Daniels.

Canuck57

Tom

Competition has no problem doing it. Seems to be just another GM shortcoming.

Does not mater for me any more. I don't buy GM, GMAC, UAW or CAW any more. Screwing us through the tax system, I can avoid your products until they die, or I do. No sense in me buying from the people who steal from us.

Canuck57

if it dosnt bother you why do you keep whining about it. I am not too happy with the way some of the things are going, but what is the alternative, all of the congressmen that ware against it are now all upset because gm wants to close a few plants and underperforming dealers. If they would have gone chapter 7 like the congressmen wanted it would have caused a major unemploymnet crisis in the US. The cost of the bailout is not half of the 90 billion that AIG sent to german and china banks as insurance paymets on bad loans thats we have no chance of getting back, never hear about this anywhere

Tom

What a crock. At least 3 other companies larger than GM have gone under and the economy didn't tank. It in fact is tanking because of these companies!

Senators and congress people I am sure got calls from Cerberus and Carlyle holders and insiders. You bet.

Does not mater if it be a bank or GM, if they can't pay their bills they should be liquified. If a market exists for their services, the gap will be filled quickly.

Worldcom for example. In fact look at the list.

All these companies were sold off, as much of the bills paid as possible so the creditors could eat. Employees were laid off but many were absorbed into who bought them where the market existed.

This doom and gloom of GM going under is hyperbole, sells corruption and taxpayer abuse. Just BS to sell a bad idea.

Another list.

Bottom line, a good BSing PR job by GM & government.

Canuck57