gm engine question

Page 1 of 3
Would any one know if a 1996 Chevrolet Lumina v6 engine is a no clearance engine. Basically I would like to know if the timing chain breaks is it possible for the pistons to drive up into the valves causing massive damage
ei bent pushrods, damaged pistons, damaged valves..? Typically OHC engines are no clearance but I was told that this engine was also no clearance. Also I had a 1998 olds 98. And was also told this was a no clearance engine. On my 98 the timing chain broke and I did not want to mess with it so I took it to a mechanic he installed a timing chain kit and then told me I needed both heads rebuilt and all new pushrods and lifters..??? Now my son's Lumina chain went and I was wondering if it a no clearance engine because the guy who towed tried starting it for quite some time (not a good idea) even thou my son told him that he was not to attempt to start the car just to tow it..
Regards, Ed
Thx in advance for any responses
Sorry the olds 98 was 1987 not 1997

This engine is what is called an interference engine an open valve will hit the piston.

I understand what an interference engine is. My question--- Is a 1996 Chevrolet 3.1L SFI engine an interference engine????

Yes it is. I found out the hard way after a broken timing chain Results, bent valves.

Ed O'Rourke wrote:

I think that he said "that"....if you read his post a little closer.

Ian
What motor was in the Olds 98? 307 or 403...I have rebuilt one of each and I do not remember those being interference engines. The compression was way to low. I could be wrong, just don't remember...

On Sun, 30 May 2004 21:22:57 GMT, "Eightupman"

A 1998 Olds 98 would be a front wheel drive V6. the 307 and 403 would be a generation or two earlier.
-Bret

I honestly do not remember. It was 3-5years ago. It was a v6. Timing chain went. I knew this by taking out the cam shaft sensor and looking in with a mirror. It was December( really cold) so I took it to a mechanic. After he replaced the chain kit he told me I needed both heads rebuilt and the push rods replaced. So I let him do it (bad move ). 3 weeks later it threw a rod. So now My son' chain just went on a 1997 Lumina 3.1L SFI engine. And I was just wondering if it was an interference engine. Basically I thought just the OHC engines with timing belts were interference engines. Thx

Sure if an Olds 98 was produced in 1998. He reposted saying the car was an 87, BUT I just remembered only the Cutlass's were still produced with the RWD V-8 in 87 and half of 88. I know little about the 3.8 that was in that car.

Olds Delta 88 and 98 Royals or Broughams were RWD untill 1990. I even have a 1990 Olds full size sationwagon at my shop with a (blown up) Olds 307 V8.
Dont forget that from 1991 to 1996 Olds have a version of the Cparice Classic, and a wagon version too.
The last Cutlass RWD was the 1988 Cutlass Surpreame Classic. All 1988 RWD Cutlass's were Classic Models and all have the 307 V8. Charles
I owned a 1987 Olds 98 Regency. Front wheel drive..

This vehicle is front wheel drive...
1G3CW1137H4302156
1 - Manufactured in USA G - Manufactured by General Motors 3 - Oldsmobile Division CW - 98 Regency Brougham Carline Series 1 - Two Door Coupe/Sedan Styles 11,27,37,47,57,97 Body Style 1 - Manual Belts Restraint Codes 3 - 3.8L V6 MFI engine 7 - Check Digit (See below for details) H - 1987 model year 4 - Assembled at Orion, MI or Scarborough, OH 302156 - Sequential Build Number
Check Digit verified!

98 Regency vs Delta 98, or 98 Royal. My point is between erly 1980's thru the mid 90's Olds had more then one car under the same model name.
A good Example of this is the Cutlass. You had in one year a G-body, a N Body, an X body and a W body wearing that name plate. You had to get in to the sub-model names to know just reading what was what.
1988 Cutlass Surpreame is a W-body (lumina, regal, grand prix FWD) 1988 Cutlass Surpreame Classic is a G-body (Monte, Regal, Gran Prix RWD) 1988 Cutlass Calais is an N-body (Grand Am, Skylark FWD) 1988 Cutlass Cirea (spelling?) was a X-body (evolved from the Citation) (Celeberty, Century, 6000/Bonniville)
A bit confusing eh? Charles
Charles Bendig wrote:

While it "might" have evolved from the X-body, the Ciera's were A-bodies.
Ian

Thanks for the correction. I used to own a few real A bodies. 64-72 Midsize (Chevelle-ElCamino, Tempist/Lemans/GTO, Cutlass/F82, Skylark). When I say A body thats what Im refering to. Charles
Wish I had a classic.....Bucket seats......
Forgot about the whale wagons...

The Whale Wagons sell well. As we supply derby cars to people (bought from tow yards not open to the public).
The classic I just crushed was a bench seat car. 60/40 split. Don't worry, the only part that was crushed was the body. The frame is going under my old 86 Monte Calro LS body, with the nose off a 88 SS.
We striped every part worth saving off the classic, including the interior. In it's slow death, it alowed 7 other G-bodies to live. Charles
BTW is that Olds wagon for sale? I have an Olds 350 that needs a home

Ill check and see. If it is, Ill post you a note here. It belongs to my business partner. He had intensions of fixing it up. Yet he has more projects then he can handle. Charles