GM head lights

Page 4 of 9
HDD wrote:

I don't know of any insurance company that gives discounts for DRLs. Certainly not any that I've checked with, nor the one that wrote my current policy.
--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 12:21:07 -0400, Isaiah Beard

I have discounts for DRLs, ABS, airbags and theft deterrant on my S-10. I live in NY, other states may differ. Insurance company is Nationwide, but I think Progressive gave me the same discounts...
wrote: | | >HDD wrote: | >> After defeating this safety feature you should notify your insurance | >> company so you no longer get the discount I presume you are getting. | > | >I don't know of any insurance company that gives discounts for DRLs. | >Certainly not any that I've checked with, nor the one that wrote my | >current policy. | | I have discounts for DRLs, ABS, airbags and theft deterrant on my | S-10. I live in NY, other states may differ. Insurance company is | Nationwide, but I think Progressive gave me the same discounts...
The New York state legislature mandated the discounts for DRLs several years ago...which, as is typically the case with lawmakers, was not based on any insurance loss data. If it had been, they would not have mandated the discount. GM probably lobbied for it and they bit instead of actually asking the insurance companies for the data to see if they really make a difference in reducing loss.

This may sound stupid, but with my '91 Bonnie, my Grandparent's '97 Chevy Lumina, and (IIRC) my Sister's '04 Grand Am, applying the emergency brake turns off all auto-light / DRL's...At least while the car is in park...Just a thought.
--
80Knight
--1991 Pontiac Bonneville SSE Sedan

Some people were saying it was for 'drive-in' purposes, and I assume you do not drive around the lot while watching the movie.
--
80Knight
--1991 Pontiac Bonneville SSE Sedan
Let me ask you a question Einstein. How do YOU get your car out of a drive in theater if you don't want to wait until the end of the showing? Most people drive out, and if your car forces the lights on whenever it is dark outside and you are driving, then it's a problem.
On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 01:46:29 -0400, "80 Knight"

I think you need to sit back, relax, and calm down. I was simply making a suggestion, I was not trying to give him advise on ruling the world. You made your suggestion, and I made mine. Guess which one is easier to use? ;) Oh, and BTW, on the cars I mentioned, the e-brake only has to be engaged to the point where the little light comes on the dashboard to disable the DRL/auto lights. The e-brake itself (as in where the car won't move) is not actually engaged at all, so no damage is done to your car. It is called tricking the system. But, as I said, it was merely a suggestion.
--
80Knight
--1991 Pontiac Bonneville SSE Sedan
I'm perfectly calm. But you couldn't seem to fathom in your earlier post while anyone might drive during the movie. Sometimes I don't have as much patience as I should for short sighted folks.
On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 12:08:25 -0400, "80 Knight"

Meh. But, my suggestion still stands.

That worked with my Dodge 3500 but it does not work with the Tracker, If you are driving, youcan not turn off the headlights,,,period!

| That worked with my Dodge 3500 but it does not work with the Tracker, If you | are driving, youcan not turn off the headlights,,,period!
GM know better than you...didn't you know that? ;-)
| Let me ask you a question Einstein. How do YOU get your car out of a | drive in theater if you don't want to wait until the end of the | showing? Most people drive out, and if your car forces the lights on | whenever it is dark outside and you are driving, then it's a problem. |
Maybe we can get the buddies we stashed in the trunk (to avoid paying for their tickets) to push the car out of the drive-in theater before we start it up. That would do the trick! ;-)
Very good point! :)
On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 18:56:21 -0400, "James C. Reeves"

It is easier than that, simply install a manual switch in the parking brake indicator light circuit, then cover the light if needed. That is what is done to undercover cars, used by police, that have DRL's
mike hunt
80 Knight wrote:

| It is easier than that, simply install a manual switch in the | parking brake indicator light circuit, then cover the light if | needed. That is what is done to undercover cars, used by police, | that have DRL's | | | mike hunt |
I think that trick affects the ABS
James C. Reeves wrote:

Does it disable the ABS? :-) :-) I'll have to test this out!
--
Tony

Pat
Mike, great point !!!! How do they do it with cars that the e-brake doesn't turn off the lights??

Can't help you there. I'm not familiar with any vehicle that applying the parking brake does NOT disengage the DRL's with the vehicle running.
mike hunt