GM head lights

You noticed that too eh? ;-)

Reply to
Full_Name

| > Not sure about the full size GM trucks. After owning 3 vehicles with ABS, | > the last 2 I've purchased were without ABS and I personally have much more | > control | > without it. But then I learned to drive 30+ years ago...I simply cannot | > "stomp" the brakes on wet/snow/ice surfaces...it's against my "training". | > So my trying to feel in control of the braking causes ABS systems to | > function very badly and doesn't give me the needed feedback for me to | > brake properly. | Exactly the same problem I've run into, problem I found is I couldn't buy an | S10 without ABS and can't really fit a full size truck in the places I need | to go so I had to get ABS. So thats why I had to buy a vehicle with ABS. |

Interesting. I thought GM was starting to make "base" models of most of their lines without ABS. Perhaps that isn't correct. I know the 2003 base Malibu came without ABS (the earlier years base Malibu came with ABS). I know most Chryslers now come without standard ABS in response to customer request (something GM is a little slower to react to than their competitors, in my view).

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Reply to
SgtSilicon

If it's got front wheel sensors it's a 4 wheel ABS vehicle. I think the rear is sensed through the VSS, since the driveshaft stops turning when the rear wheels do. My 94 Jimmy was, and my 2000 S-10 is, 4 wheel ABS, neither has sensors in the rear.

Reply to
Mike Levy

pressure you

slightly above

control system

pressure you

slightest

Tony, That van has 4 wheel ABS the rear sensor is actually in the transmission tailshaft. no such animal as front wheel only ABS on ANY make.

Reply to
Steve W.

I finally remembered to check that today. E-brake doesn't affect the DRLs either. Putting the car in park does make them go out, though. The only way I've discovered to turn the auto-headlights out is to pull on the parking lights. [then if you turn the lights off, your headlights stay off until you restart the car.]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

I know it's a different vehicle, but get this. My 2000 S-10 has low-beam DRLs, the high-beam DRLs on ZR2s didn't comply with some FMVSS code. When I turn my parking lights on during the day, the low beams stay on. It's kinda odd...

Reply to
Mike Levy

-snip-

I don't know if it was faulty memory or my new BCM, but I tried this last night & when I turned the parking l;ights off I got my headlights back.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

It wasn't on gods green earth, it was on mans bumpy highway at 70 or so mph and an accident in front of me. Luckily, (yes luckily!) I was pulling a trailer and used those brakes manually. Yes, the trailer with a couple tons in it slowed me down better than the ABS crap. And yes, using them manually, with all four wheels on the trailer locked up most of the time. If you have ever pulled a trailer with brakes, you get a feeling for it and can easily feel if the trailer is pushing you ahead or holding you back. It held me back.

Reply to
Tony Miklos

I never heard the rear brakes pulsing in any emergency braking situation. Yes, this is a cargo van and the noise of the ABS is very loud and unmistakable. I can feel (and hear) the front ABS switching from left to right wheel by the pull in the steering.

Back to the parking brake disabling the ABS, I have locked up the rear wheels using a combo of normal braking and the emergency brake. The ABS does not kick in. So the question goes back to "does the parking brake disable (the rear) ABS? Or doesn't my van have rear ABS?

Reply to
Tony Miklos

Then my van simply sucks. Not once has either rear wheel ever pulsed the ABS like the front wheels. And yes, it is easy to hear and feel it in a cargo van. In fact it's noisy as hell!

Reply to
Tony Miklos

That sounds normal to me. In my 2000 cargo van the DRL are low beam with something to dim them just a bit, not much dimming at all. Turning on the parking lights doesn't effect the DRL either. I don't see why it would be expected to?

My DRL go out when the parking brakes are applied, no matter what position the shifter is in.

Reply to
Tony Miklos

| >>Same with the Malibu...for the regular lights. I believe the DRL will go out | >>when applying the parking brake though. | >>

| >I finally remembered to check that today. E-brake doesn't affect | >the DRLs either. Putting the car in park does make them go out, | >though. The only way I've discovered to turn the auto-headlights | >out is to pull on the parking lights. [then if you turn the lights | >off, your headlights stay off until you restart the car.] | >

| >Jim | | I know it's a different vehicle, but get this. My 2000 S-10 has | low-beam DRLs, the high-beam DRLs on ZR2s didn't comply with some | FMVSS code. When I turn my parking lights on during the day, the low | beams stay on. It's kinda odd... |

GM has many different DRL implementations and seemingly as many different ways they are controlled and function. One would think that they would have built a common DRL control platform. I guess not.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

I only asked because 6 full seconds is a LONG time for emergency braking in most situations, but I can see where an interstate could give you a pretty good preview.

Reply to
SgtSilicon

Umm, the front and rear ABS use the same pump/valve assembly, just a matter of which valves are opening and closing. It's all in the front...

If it has front ABS it has rear ABS also. The only 2-wheel ABS system was only on the rear wheels, never on the front only. It's entirely possible the ABS gets disabled when the e-brake is engaged.

Reply to
Mike Levy

Dunno about DRLs going out when the parking brake is applied, but mine go out when I shift into Park. They also go out when I press the dome override 4 times in 5 seconds. My DRLs are full-power low beams.

Another different vehicle, on my mother's 2000 Regal, if the headlight switch is pulled to the parking light position, the headlights go out, even in conditions that warrant the full headlight system being on.

Reply to
Mike Levy

Since the rears only contribute 20% or less of total braking power it is real doubtful you would feel it when it engaged the ABS. My 95 Conversion has 4wheel ABS and you can't feel it when the rear works.

Reply to
Steve W.

"parking brake pedal"---before you drive off.and only slightly so that the brakes are not yet applied.

Reply to
Dave Breedlove

Maybe the rear brakes simply never get enough braking action to lock them up? At 50K miles they look hardly used, 3rd set on the front (although I may have helped/fixed that problem). On my long gone 1987? GMC Safari (chevy astro van), the rear brakes lasted over 100,000 miles and where only replaced after a leak in the axle bearing seal. On that van if stuck in the snow, it would sometimes spin one of the rear wheels at idle, with the brakes engaged. On a lift, in drive, at idle, I had to fully depress the brake peddle to stop the rear wheels. Chevy said this is OK. So with the pedal half way depressed, the rear wheels where still pushing the van instead of stoping it. That sounds like the rear is getting maybe 1% of the braking instead of 20%.

Reply to
Tony Miklos

Yes it did. Almost had to change my shorts after that one.

Reply to
Tony Miklos