GM head lights

Page 6 of 9
[2001 Impala]
-snip-

I don't know if it was faulty memory or my new BCM, but I tried this last night & when I turned the parking l;ights off I got my headlights back.
Jim
Uhm...on ABS equipped vehicles, activating the brake monitor light bypassing the emergency brake switch will disable the ABS system. Bad idea!!!
| > > > Is there any way to install a switch so the headlights can be turned | off | > > on | > > > a 2001 Chevy Tracker? | > > > thanks, Tim fm CT | > > | > > This may sound stupid, but with my '91 Bonnie, my Grandparent's '97 | Chevy | > > Lumina, and (IIRC) my Sister's '04 Grand Am, applying the emergency | brake | > > turns off all auto-light / DRL's...At least while the car is in | park...Just | > > a thought. | > > | > > -- | > > 80Knight | > > --1991 Pontiac Bonneville SSE Sedan | > > --3800 V6 | > > --190,000 KM's | > > Bonnie's Website's: | > > http://www.geocities.com/brandon_80_knight / | > |
James C. Reeves wrote:

Wow, good idea, I could push my parking brake one click to disable ABS and actually be able to stop on a rough road.
Eugene wrote:

Cool! I just looked at this group for the first time and had two questions, one of them was "how do I disable the ABS?" My ABS not only sucks on a rough road, but down a little hill with some loose gravel. The SOB brakes pulse away and the &*#@^$ G3500 van keeps going. I can't wait for rain so I can really test it out.
--
Tony

Tony Miklos wrote:

same here, stopping on a straight level dry road and hit a little crack and one wheel bounces a tiny bit and the ABS kicks in and the whole truck jumps forward as if it didn't have any brakes. I can't believe this James guy thinks disabeling ABS is a bad idea, he must be one of those that thinks ABS helps people stop! (you would be surprised at how many people think that and don't understand how ABS works and what it is intended for)

Not that I am recommending it.... But "normally" if there isn't feedback from one of the ABS sensors the ABS portion of your braking system shuts off & reverts to traditional braking. Your ABS light will come on if it isn't working, "say, if a sensor was unplugged." again, not that I'm recommending it.
Eugene wrote:

Just what is ABS intended for anyway? I tried (in a large empty parking lot in the rain) locking up the brakes while turning. I would think the *wonderful invention* called ABS would allow my front wheels to rotate enough to make the vehicle turn instead of skidding straight. No, it didn't turn. The ABS pulsed away like mad and I still skidded straight forward.
--
Tony

Tony, do have 4 wheel ABS, front ABS, or rear ABS? My money is that it isn't 4 wheel ABS.

SgtSilicon wrote:

Just front wheel ABS. What made you think otherwise?
--
Tony

Because as another fellow pointed out, there is such a thing as rear wheel only ABS. That coupled with the fact that you lost steering ability. Like him, I thought maybe you had the goofy set up.

ABS help people stop quicker (or in shorter distance). There are exceptions to this. Like gravel as stated. Over all though, ABS will yield superior results with average drivers. Drivers who keep their cool under extreme stress and are adept at avoiding lock-up, are better served by non ABS brakes.
Only you know if you are Mr. Mario or not, but don't over estimate your abilities.

SgtSilicon wrote:

Ahh, heres the mtyh. ABS wasn't designed to help stop quicker and the laws of physics don't allow it to help people stop quicker. ABS simply releases the pressure on the lines when a wheel locks up, this is to allow controlled steering because a locked up wheel will slide in the direction it was going, it has to be rotating to turn directions. This releasing of the brake is what extends the stopping distance. True threashold braking is the fastest way to stop but you have to have a feel for it, too much pressure you lock the wheels and too little pressure you don't stop as effectively ABS pulses the brakes so it bounces above and below the threashold line a few times a second but since its slightly above or below the threashold line most of the time it doesn't give the best/shortest stopping distance. If you have ever studied and electronic/mechanical engineering you would understand how a control system like this works but plotting on a graph the change in brake pressure you get a damped sine wave

Eugene wrote:

I certainly understand. What makes it worse yet is that in my test skids in a wet parking lot, the abs didn't even help me turn! I still skidded straight! (same in snow also BTW) I didn't do any test skids on a dry surface.
Reminds me of being 18 and running from the cops. I was on a stone road and around a corner they just added a lot of new stone that was very loose. I knew the road and wasn't expecting the new loose stone. I locked up the brakes, skidding straight for a tree... with a dog tied to it... skidding closer and closer. At the last second I let off the brakes just in time to make the turn.
ABS is an attempt to help people drive... without having the slightest knowledge in basic 5th grade science.
--
Tony

Tony Miklos wrote:

I think that myth started because people would buy newer cars with better brakes and ABS so the better stopping ability they attributed to ABS. I've even heard car salesman make the claim that "ABS stops better", but the average car salesman can't tell a 4cly from a 6cyl engine. I always have fun opening the hood and asking questions.

Are you sure your van has 4 wheel ABS? Sounds like it has rear-wheel ABS, which is the most illogical way to do it. You want the front wheels spinning at the least in order to make the turn, but keeping the rears going helps A LOT also...
Mike Levy wrote:

No. Did I give that impression? I don't think it has ABS in the rear wheels. Hold on, I actually checked the manual, it _says_ it has 4 wheel anti lock brakes... but I don't believe it. Hold on again... (brushing the dirt off my back) looking at the front brakes I see the hydraulic line and the sensor wire. Looking at the rear I see the hydraulic line and the emergency/parking brake cable... no sensor wires. I believe the manual is wrong. Only front wheel anti-lock, which is what I always thought by the *feel* of the braking.
Sounds like it has rear-wheel

I fully understand how ABS *should* help me turn instead of a fully locked up wheel, but in real life, it doesn't do what is intended to do. Maybe it would on a dry road? Like I said, I never did a test skid on a dry road, only in rain or snow.
--
Tony

If it's got front wheel sensors it's a 4 wheel ABS vehicle. I think the rear is sensed through the VSS, since the driveshaft stops turning when the rear wheels do. My 94 Jimmy was, and my 2000 S-10 is, 4 wheel ABS, neither has sensors in the rear.
Mike Levy wrote:

I never heard the rear brakes pulsing in any emergency braking situation. Yes, this is a cargo van and the noise of the ABS is very loud and unmistakable. I can feel (and hear) the front ABS switching from left to right wheel by the pull in the steering.
Back to the parking brake disabling the ABS, I have locked up the rear wheels using a combo of normal braking and the emergency brake. The ABS does not kick in. So the question goes back to "does the parking brake disable (the rear) ABS? Or doesn't my van have rear ABS?
--
Tony

Umm, the front and rear ABS use the same pump/valve assembly, just a matter of which valves are opening and closing. It's all in the front...

If it has front ABS it has rear ABS also. The only 2-wheel ABS system was only on the rear wheels, never on the front only. It's entirely possible the ABS gets disabled when the e-brake is engaged.
Mike Levy wrote:

Maybe the rear brakes simply never get enough braking action to lock them up? At 50K miles they look hardly used, 3rd set on the front (although I may have helped/fixed that problem). On my long gone 1987? GMC Safari (chevy astro van), the rear brakes lasted over 100,000 miles and where only replaced after a leak in the axle bearing seal. On that van if stuck in the snow, it would sometimes spin one of the rear wheels at idle, with the brakes engaged. On a lift, in drive, at idle, I had to fully depress the brake peddle to stop the rear wheels. Chevy said this is OK. So with the pedal half way depressed, the rear wheels where still pushing the van instead of stoping it. That sounds like the rear is getting maybe 1% of the braking instead of 20%.