GM joins Ford in jettisoning the minivan market

Page 8 of 8
The Tundra is an also-ran when it come to truck sales. Likewise the Nissan Titan. If some do not think Toyota is dumping 2006s, they have never seen
a 'Toyotathon' ad ;)
mike

Steve wrote:

Well thats the problem with toyotas. They do/"appear to" make a good quality truck, but when push comes to shove, and you put your money where your mouth is... a v8 toyota looks pretty shitty compared to a fullsize f150, or even an f250 if you get the right price. For the money, I would take the better looking Ford over a toyota at the same price.
Fullsize fords i have more respect for than any other truck, i have thrashed those trucks through more woods roads.
The rangers, however, are a completely different story!

Where are you getting this idea? When I bought a Nissan Frontier earlier this year, I did a bit of shopping and everyone's lot was stuffed with pick-ups. If anything, the Toyota dealers had many more Tundras on the lot, in relationship to sales, than Ford had F150s. The Nissan dealers had Frontiers and Titan everywhere. The Nissan dealer nearest my house has at least 50 Frontiers on the lot right now (and this is on the lot where I can see them - he has storage lots out in the country I don't see).

Where are you? When I was shopping for a Tundra, the dealer had no problem rolling out one with the options I wanted from the "back" lot. When my Son was shopping for a Mustang, the dealer had to get one from 100 miles away to match his wants. The dealer also had plenty of Tacomas, but they came in too varieties, stripped 4 cylinder manual models, and completely loaded up and totally useless for a work truck models. I actually wanted a Tacoma instead of a Tundra, but they had no Tacomas with the equipment I wanted - they were either ridiculously over-equipped (and therefore ridiculously over-priced) or stripped to the bone (but still ridiculously over-priced). I could find plenty of Tundras set up as a work truck with the equipment I wanted. For some reason, Toyota wasn't building any Tacomas with similar equipment. I assume they figure the only people who buy Tacomas are fleets looking for strippers and boy racer looking for big wheels, big stereos, and lots of chrome. They had plenty of those choking the lot.

Again where do you live? You don't have Toyotaton? Around here it seem like "Toyotaton" is an 11 month event. When Toyota isbn't running ads with stupid F150 comparison (like my Tundra can haul 6'6" boards - your Ford can only haul 6' 3" boards), they are screaming about the huge savings, great discounts, rebates, etc. If you listened to the Toyota ads, you would think they were giving Tundras away (at least till you try to buy one and they slap on the "dealer fees" that make the price non-competitive). Nissan is even worse. It seems like they have been running the "Year End Sales Event" ads since last January.

Why do you think Ford is shutting down so many US plans and offering buy-out to 30+% of their work force.
Ed
That may be but Ford still sells more F150s in about a month or so than Toyota sells Tundras in a year ;)
mike

Still coming in from the back seat on volume sold eh! We all know volume sold has little to do with quality, it's all about lower initial cost for most buyers.
I guess that explains why then Camry is the number one selling car in the US. ;)
mike

You're admitting it!
You mean I'm agreeing with you that Camrys number one position has little to do with quality? ')
mike
wrote:

We all know volume sold has little to do with quality,

I guess that explains why then Camry is the number one selling car in the

Mike Hunter wrote:

Same as Windows is the #1 OS :)
who wrote:

$10,000 difference in price can do a lot of repairs.
Picasso wrote:

Given that the Toy will break whenever you try to do any sort of work more serious than driving to dinner in it...
C. E. White wrote:

I'm not really slamming ford or promoting Toyota/Honda here.
I live in New Brunswick, Canada. And I can't udnerstand why there are two ford dealers, two chev dealers, and two chrysler dealers... one closed, and i figured well ones enough anyway... then another opened.
Honda, Toyota, Nissan all have just one dealer. Ford should do the same -- they wouldn't have to supply so many damn vehicles to sit on a lot.
Then most people check prices, and end up going up the river about an hour to another well known ford dealer.

Huh? This has nothing to do with vehicle quality. You gotta get a grip Ed. It has EVERYTHING to do with financial management and the fact that the japs have never played on the same field as the Big 3. Soon, there will be no more guys with grade 12 educations slapping bumpers on cars for $25/hour. Thank God. But it may be too late.

Correct they don't build excess then dump it on rental & lease firms, killing the resale value for 1 or 2 years.
What in the world make you believe import brands do not try to sell to fleets and rental car companies? They certainly do, they are just not very successful at selling to fleets, with the exception of the Koreans. Imports do in fact sell to rental car companies however and in bug numbers.. All manufactures offer discounts to fleets and rental car companies. It ranges between $600 and $800
mike

earlier
vehicles,
45,000
Tacomas,
over-equipped
as
wasn't
try
japs
No, they will just be guys with grade 12 educations and 2 years run through an associates class trying to troubleshoot and diagnose the car that a bunch of robots put together on an assembly line. A car, that is, which isn't designed to be repaired. As a result if your a new car buyer you will probably be having to get used to discarding your car when it fails, and buying a new one. Hope your wallet can stand it.
Ted

Do you think they will be taught the proper use of contractions? :)
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

In you're dreams. :))
wrote in message

Ill just be happy if they learn to use punctuation thats what I don't like?

They need more than one dealer to store their excess inventory. >:)