Interchangeable Parts

To illustrate the reason for my question below, I have learned that the A/C compressor on an 82-86 Capri, 82-93 Mustang, 84-86 LTD, 85 Marquis, 85-88
Cougar and 85-88 Thunderbird are all interchangeable.
Is there a book or manual (either in print, online or on CD-ROM) that lists interchangeable parts?
Thanks!
Joe Colella snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

computer. I used to buy such a manual from a salvage-yard-friend about every 3-4 years. Since I didn't need very much info on newer cars(which were usually under factory warranty), the 3-year old book did me just fine: name was HOLLANDER'S USED PARTS INTERCHANGE GUIDE, or something close. HTH, s
http://car-part.com/index.htm
put in the part you need for the car you have, and it'll list equivalent parts from other car models. Usually most of the parts are interchangeable but sometimes the same engine has different parts on it when used with different car models. Like different intakes, computers, etc..
-
Thanks!

Thanks!

excerpt from an archived post from Paul
Nearly all junkyards in the US use Hollander parts interchange manuals. It will tell you what alternator will fit what vehicle but does not go into minute detail. They are very good though. http://www.hollander-auto-parts.com/products/index.html
excerpt from an archived post from Steve Mackie
A couple of days ago someone posted a link to this site: http://www.acdelco.com/html/catalog/index.htm
There you can cross reference many parts. They are not GM part numbers, but the cross reference ability is there for alternators, starters and such. You won't find cross reference for parts only available at the dealer though. Or at least I don't think so.
Peter
I recently came across an auto parts site which allowed you to choose a part and see which vehicles it fit...... Can't remember the name but it was one of the online sites...autozone, autobarn, advanceautoparts, napa etc.
hth
Peter