OIL.....again

Page 2 of 2
Change every 5 Months or 7000 miles. Forget the "change oil" light. (totally useless) It's there for morons who don't know their arse from a hole-in-da-ground.

Agreed. When I heard some cars had oil-change indicators, I assumed they monitored the condition of the oil somehow. When I heard they just count miles, then I knew it's just another idiot light.
Adam Corolla wrote:

Oil life monitors don't "just count miles". It's a bit more sophisticated then that.
Ian

Right on Ian, but would you really rely on waiting (up to) 10K miles to change? I know I don't.

With synthetic I would. I change dino oil at 7500. Of course, that is my driving habits.
wrote in message

my
SgtSilicon wrote:

No, I wouldn't, but I suppose that's a different discussion.
Ian

I was incorrect, then. Do they monitor driving habits as well? Turn on the light sooner if you drive hard, that sort of thing? I am curious about how they work.
Adam Corolla wrote:

For the past 12 years or so, oil change monitors have worked by tracking ALL of the following; oil temperature sensor input, tachometer input from the ignition control module, vehicle speed sensor input and clock time to calculate the percentage of oil life left.

That's on GM cars I assume (being that this is the GM ng.) THANKS for the info, it is interesting to know how those things work. Now I can understand how they can estimate the condition of the oil fairly accurately and still have the need to be reset when the oil is changed.

As I understand it some do monitor oil quality. Some are simple mileage tickers but others are supposed to actually view the clarity of the oil - if I'm not mistaken. I've never really looked into this beyond what is claimed in some GM owner's manuals so I don't know how effective they really are but they do operate on something besides simple mileage.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

That's good to know. I had assumed they just counted miles when the one in my dad's Cadillac came on shortly after having the oil and filter changed, and it turned out the guy who changed the oil forgot to reset the oil change indicator. That was a number of years back, so it might have been an early version of an OCI that did just check the miles before they got more sophisticated.

I feel just like you about that. I use Mobil1 and change oil and filter every 5K.

About the same here - Mobil 1 and either NAPA or CarQuest premium filters every 5-6 mos or 5-6K in both current cars (02 Impala, 96 Dodge Caravan). My 86 TBird was still going strong at 135K when I let it go - very little oil usage between changes, using a similar schedule and either Amsoil or M1 and decent filters.
I don't think I've ever had the change oil light come on in the Impala except one time when I forgot to reset it after a change.
I see the big plus of synth. oils in my air cooled motors, IE bike, lawn tractor, etc. . Oil looks cleaner at 3k on synth. than dino does. Book says 5k change, I'd never go that far with dino as it looks black as hell at 3k where as the synth. gets dark at 5k. Lawn tractor oil, (no filter) looks good after a summer's worth of mowing vs dino needing a mid summer change with black oil showing.
Just did a lower manifold gasket change on my '02 Malibu, it's been on a 5k sched. and at 100k zero sludge and only slight brown tint on the inards. It's been on a diet of Wally world oil and Purolater Pure One filters.
Did the manifold gaskets on my '99 Yukon at 80k and motor looked the same except it gets Mobil 1 oil. M 1 is in the Yuk as it gets run harder with tow duty.
If it runs hot or gets run hard pour in the synth. oil, normal use use regular oils. Use top rated filters. That's my 2 ........