"Production" electric car

Here is one that is in production, but will never be "homologato" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venturi_Fetish They will only produce 25 of them, at about $400K each.

Holy shit, the thing's got 250 horses under that "hood". It seems it was supposedly released (if you call a total production run of only 25 cars released) in 2007. I wonder if anyone actually bought one?

I don't know. I saw a TV correspondent interview one of the officers and take a test ride in it just today. Don't know how old the sound byte was.
These things are not for the masses, if anyone.
Pardon my misspelling of "omologato" by the way.
Tesla Motors has sold a fair number of electric cars but they sell at $105,000 and up.

Everyone but the dealers liked the EV1. Dealers didn't like it because it didn't break down often enough to make an obscene profit off of.
Can you imagine what technology the 2009 EV1 would have, IF the company hadn't listened to its dealers and crushed the whole batch?
--
-----
Larry

If a man goes way out into the woods all alone and says something,

Do you honestly think GM was the only reason the EV1 was trashed?

I would have thought it was a GM decision, Knight. Can you expand on this situation?
wrote in message

I don't have all the facts, as they differ depending on what you read. Some blame the oil cartels, some blame GM, some blame the Government, some blame all of the above. From what I have found that is actually conclusive, the EV1's were developed under the strict policy that they only be leased for a certain amount of time, then taken back. It was like a trial run. IIRC, the cars didn't even comply with the safety standards of the day, as that was part of the deal. If you want to learn more about them, give that "Who Killed the Electric Car" movie a watch. As for the decision itself, even if GM did make it, the claim is that they were forced too. But, like I said, it all depends on what you read.
Try believing the facts, not the myths, they could not be sold to the public.
If they were practical to build and there was a market for them, why would GM NOT want to sell them?
wrote in message

wrote in message

my memory isnt all that great about this even though i worked for GM i didnt think the EV1 was all that great. it was supposed to get 100 miles on a recharge which isnt that much if it was used for anything except short commuting. They only built 800 i think and only were able to lease about half of them. at that time i didnt remember any one raving about it after the first reviews. The stying was awful, the interior seemed crowded, and it was very expensive. It would have never made any money. I think is was built because of the Calif. pending enviromental laws and didnt work out and GM cut its losses. the plant it was built in was not made for any volume ithink it was 5 a day or 5 per hr at best. it was replaced by a small 2 seat buick sports car that failed also which was probably also expermental.

wrote in message

From what I can find, GM built around 2,234 EV's (first and second generations), the second generation batteries could travel up to 150 miles, and all were leased, and all had a "no purchase" clause in the paperwork. You could lease them, but not purchase them. As for whether people liked them or not, the people I have had contact with who owned or drove one said they were very impressed. The car was apparently very quiet on the highway, comfortable, and they believed it was worth the $299+ per month price tag. But, like all opinions, those are of those people, not everyone.
What part of "The EV-1 was an experimental vehicle bolt under exception to the EPA and NHTSA regulations at the time and could not be sold," and had to be destroyed did you not understand?
wrote in message

Perhaps if you used coherent sentences, more people would pay attention to you.
wrote in message

80 Knight wrote:

GM stupidity runs deep.
--
Civis Romanus Sum

And still does. Does anyone know precisely where the $65B went?

I am very naive at times.. I assumed it was another of the many many concept cars that GM put together and were really not too serious about producing. They and other companies have done this many times in the past.
I dont believe there was any oil company conspiracy or anything like that.
HLS wrote:

I don't think it was a cabal/conspiracy by oil companies either but it was a very bad decision on GM's part. As has already been noted think of where we, as a nation, and GM, as a company, if the EV-1 had been developed instead of being thrown away.
--
Civis Romanus Sum

I would agree, there is no oil conspiracy. Simple demand-supply going on. Just like autos. But in the case of autos the prices are down with pricing pressures mounting. Part of GMs issue is marketing seems to have their heads squarly between their legs, wanting to produce expensive crap when people want cheap and reliable. Just a mater of being realistic on the assessment.
We are all naive at times, but as you are doing and many others, you work through it. The realist with a firm graps of rationality always gets the accurate view.

Pot. Kettle. Black.

I'd believe GM before I'd believe you.
Plus, you're canadian so that detracts from your credibility as well.
--
Rick

email: http://tinyurl.com/562c52