question on 1964 Chevrolets - six cylinder vs V8 models

Hi - I jjust bought myself a 64 impala 2 door htp as an early xmas present - it has the 283 in it
One of the local yards has a 64 biscayne 6 cylinder with some good trim
parts I can use like the bumpers - I am thinking about buying the whole car for parts but am just wondering from the brake and suspension standpoint if the 6 cylinder and V8 cars use the same parts
My two door is missing the entire front suspension and spindles - the math on buying the entire 4 door for parts would only work if I can transfer the suspension and spindles to the V8 - I guess I would be specifically wondering about the brake drum size and the front springs if they are the same - the yard wants 100.00 for the 2 bumpers or 400.00 for the whole car which I would have to tow and store
Anyway any advice is appreciated
Best wishes for the holiday season to all

That yard can answer your question. The business has all that info in the 'cross-over' books. It's surprising that the biscayne is even still there. OEM parts are hard to find and 'pricey'. Check the doner car out and make the decision. Have fun with the Impala!
Dave S(Texas)

Grab the whole car!! You would be amazed at the little stuff you may need that the donor car has. Regards the springs, I think they may be different but the rest iirc is the same. I'd think you'd want new springs anyway. Any spring shop can fix ya up. Have fun with it!!
Roy
The springs should be the same, since the 283 V-8 weighs about the same or possibly less than the 6 cylinder. Roy

ROY BRAGG wrote:

The differences will be the springs and the shocks IF they were the same car. But being the 64 Biscayne is a 4 door 6 cylinder and the Impala is a 2 door 8 it's a toss up. I wouldn't worry about it though since if you intend to drive it you will want to replace the springs on both ends with new ones, the 42 year old ones in either car are going to be collapsed and weak by now. A good spring shop can make you up some nice progressive coils, add a HEAVY sway bar and some good shocks and make that car really stick to the road.
--
Steve W.

Going from memory, they are the same, but it has been a long time since I've bought those parts. That aside, I'd bet the Biscayne has enough parts on it to pay for itself in the next six to twelve months. A lens here, a knob there, you can be talking a lot of money over time when you already have them sitting there.