rattle on start up

I have a 2003 buick regal LS, no supercharger. I run 5w30 synthetic oil. The car has 12400 miles on it. After sitting over night, at start up, it
rattles just a bit, like all the oil has drained out of the lifters. Only lasts about 2 seconds. Is this normal? do they all do that? Jon
Sounds like you may have the beginnings of the piston slap problem that developes in some engines. Check out www.pistonslap.com

No, its not at all that bad. Just a little, hmmm, like rolling your R's in Spanish. Just a little rrrrr, at start up.
Snoopy wrote:

You may be using an oil filter that is allowing the oil to drain back to the pan. What brand are you using? H
Not sure off hand. I think I got a bosch, but that was a couple months ago. What brands of oil filter have a back flow preventer?
Hairy wrote:

ago.
Any name brand filter to fit your vehicle should have an anti-drainback valve, but they are not all created equal. Try a WIX and see if the rattle goes away. They cost a couple bucks more but are high quality. H

Fram filters are infamous for having poor anti-drainback valves. However, this is only an issue if the oil filter is mounted horizontally. If it hangs vertically then no oil will drain back as it won't flow up. Not sure which type the OP's car has.
Ray