Tuneup for my 99 Regal LS

I purchased my '99 Regal LS in June of 2002 (3800 Series II). It had about

67K miles. It now has 81K.

I was thinking of getting a tune-up in prep for winter months (Milwaukee, WI). I purchased the car from a reputable establishment, but I do not know if it has been tuned up yet, and if so, when. Only about 1 out of 5 starts, does it seem to take a little longer to start, so the plugs are probably fine. Any good way to test? I'm not educated enough to be able to pop the hood, and check the plugs/wires. Could you educate me briefly or point me to a good website w/ pics?

Also, should I have the dealer install platinum plugs? Does it really make a difference?

Thanks for all the info!

Reply to
Michael Sovitzky