Re: 1989 Buick Century Servicing Requirements

That engine has a timing chain, not a belt. Many people will tell you that engine may eventually have a coolant leak. Keep an eye on the coolant level and if it ever drops, find and repair leak immediately because it may leak into the oil. Other than that, you have a lot of miles left. GW

Ben Holness wrote:

Hi, > > I am in the UK and looking at purchasing a 1989 Buick Century, fully > loaded (electric everything, cruise, a/c, 2.8 V6 Auto). > > It was sent to Belgium in 1989 and then imported to the UK in 1990. It has > done about 95.000 miles. > > I have looked on the internet for servicing details - what needs done at > what mileage etc., but haven't found anything :( > > What I am wondering, is what is coming up? Does this car have a cambelt > and when does it need to be changed springs to mind (most UK cars have a > cambelt change at about 100,000 miles). > > That's my specific question, but if anyone has any general comments/things > to look out for, please feel free to post/email :) > > Cheers, > > Ben
Reply to
Geoff Welsh

What needs to be done kind of depends on the service history. There's no timing belt, it uses a chain. Spark plugs interval would be every 30K or so, coolant every 2 years, check and replace the accessory drive belt if necessary..

Reply to
Robert Hancock