Re: ~Another Cadillac Question

LOWELL, IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU FOUND A GOOD DEAL ON THIS CAD; HOWEVER, RUN A CARFAX CHECK ON THE VEHICLE ID. IT GIVES YOU THE HISTORY OF THE VEHICLE. I CURRENTLY
HAVE 9 CADS WITH NORTHSTAR ENGINES IN THEM AND I REALLY LIKE THE ENGINES PARTICULARLY AFTER 1999. THE NORTHSTAR ENGINE IS SUSCEPTIBLE TO OVERHEATING. ALWAYS HAVE YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL SHOWING THE COOLANT TEMPERATURE. IF IT DOESN'T HAVE ANALOG STYLE GAUGES. NEVER LET THE COOLANT TEMPERATURE GET ABOVE 240 DEGREES F. THESE ENGINES HAVE STEEL HEAD BOLTS IN TAPPED HOLES IN THE ALUMINUM CASTING CRANKCASE. THE DIFFERENTIAL EXPANSION OF THE AL VERSUS STEEL BOLTS CAUSES THE AL THREADS TO TEAR OUT, CAUSING HEAD GASKET LEAKS. THIS ALSO WAS A PROBLEM ON THE 4.1 THRU 4.9 PUSH ROD ENGINES. THE "FIX" IS TO INSTALL THE GM RECOMMENDED THREADED INSERTS AND NEW HEAD GASKETS + ANY OTHER DEFORMATION REPAIRS. THIS IS A VERY COSTLY OPERATION, SO DON'T LET IT GET OVERHEATED-------------PFI
--
ivanipa