Is this a good deal?

'98 TJ

4cyl 2.5L 78,000km 5spd Hardtop Completely stock

$9000 CDN

As a follow-up to my last thread General Jeep Questions, I'm just looking for a fun summer vehicle to stick a small lift kit on (maybe 2-3") - enough to throw on some 33" BFG MT's and go play around in the mud. I'd likely sell the hard top (what do those go for on the used market?) and buy a soft top since it will be parked in the winter and I can use the extra funds for mods.

What would it cost to add a small lift to this? Any complications?

One other thing about it, it comes with airbags which I don't think I'd want activated when I'm offroading. But if I'm cruising in the city, I'd like them on. Is there an easy way to activate/deactivate them?

Thanks guys!

Reply to
griffin

Seems to be about $2000 overpriced for a stock '98.

Reply to
nrs

I think it is a bit steep, but it does have low 'mileage'.

As far as the air bags go, I have seen TJ's have pretty good losing battles with trees and the air bags didn't fire, nor have I ever heard of one going off prematurely.

We actually phoned DC about them after one tree bite. They asked if we 'thought' the bag should have been needed for the impact and we said no and they said there you go...

Oh, we also bought or Jeeps with winter driving in mind. Both on and off road.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > '98 TJ
Reply to
Mike Romain

Agreed, despite the mileage.

Hard TJ tops go for 1000 USD min. every day in desired markets, like beach communities. I've seen them from 600 to 1500 depending on condition, options, and location.

"Budget" 2" lifts go for 100 US (spacers & bump stop extensions) to

200 (spacers and longer shocks), parts only. 2" spring lifts start at 300. 2" lifts are advertised for 32's, maybe someone has experience with 33's on one....

So at 2" or 3" of lift, you will find frustration with short U-joint life and driveline vibration if you aim to stop your expenditures at lift & tires...

It is common practice to leave the airbags in place on any streetable Jeep....the factory calibrated the airbag deployment sensors to accommodate light off-road encounters with solid objects.

Reply to
Jon

Here is a useful link to the Canadian Black Book db.

is offered thru the Toyota Canada site. Give it a try it works for"all " vehicles up to 10 years old and tells youwhat dealers are paying for the vehicle at auction that week. The 98 with 78,000 Km was low: 6500.00 and high: 8100.00.

Reply to
PJ

OK, thanks again for the heads up guys. Time to keep shopping ...

Reply to
griffin

A friend has a 98 TJ, and it suffers from the intermittant dead dash board problem that is ?common? with this year TJ, so be slightly skeptical of the milage as it might be off a bit.

noneofyourbusiness

Yep. The problem is a ill fitting dash connector. All you have to do is remove it, tweak the spades a bit with a pair of needle nose pliers and put it back.

Lemme see where I put that url.... TSB NUMBER: 08-15-99

You can do some replacement work if you want to, but tweaking usually fixes the problem.

Ah..
down to 21st Jan 2006, 14:54

Reply to
DougW

There are a few other dead dash issues, that might not be exactly what you need. Lemme try that once more... well, nuts. That link is dead now.

Hope the above helps.

Reply to
DougW

You can also check out someplace like:

(root site is
According to them, the wholesale price would be around 9800, and retail of $11275. When I was looking for my last car, I found their prices to be reasonably "market value" for central Alberta. I also found that prices in the States have little bearing on prices in Canada, as they're much lower south of the border. If you do a search at
you can do a "Value List", which will give you the minimum, average,a nd high range of prices for the vehicle selected. You can then go through and browse the vehicle. From them, a 1997-1999 TJ has an average asking price of $10,079. Less than 10 had an asking price of less than $9,000, and those were all 120,000 to

200,000 km. In fact, they didn't list any that were less than 120,000km, I don't think.

YMMV, I guess. :)

Clint

Reply to
Clint