Removing power steering hose from rack and pinion

1990 Olds Silhouette 3.1 APV (aka Lumina APV, Transport)
The high pressure hose needs to be replaced and I'm having the devil of a time trying to access the fitting on the rack and pinion.
Too far down to be accessed from above and the cross member is blocking access from below....
I can barely get a wrench on it, not enough room to swing a wrenc or rachet.
Chilton's doesn't give any hints. Autozone just gives instructions for replacing the rack and pinion....which includes lowering the rear subframe.....
I'm not familar with subframes.... but can see the bolts supporting the cross member and anti sway bar.... Do I need to put a jack under this or place a jack under the transaxle to lower the subframe...
What's the best way to get this job done.... is there any way the power steering hose fitting can be accessed normally or does the sub frame have to be lowered... and how to lower the subframe safely ??? btw...this is being done in a driveway on jackstands (several ), so the vehicle is supported safely but working conditions are not optimal.
Thanks in advance !!
Peter
Try calling some service shops for quotes. You might find it cheap enough to make it not worth fooling with. Some things just can't be done safely lying on your back in the driveway...

Working on quotes right now as we speak..... Looks like I have one for 181.50. I can live with this.
It's more a matter of peristence as I'm used to working on my own cars. Just had the rack and pinion replaced ($850.00) and now the power steering hose, Dang, I hate letting anything get the better of me.
Peter

Sounds as if that mechanic may have left a fitting too loose? Just maybe? Check, using a small mirror on an adjustable 'stick' from Harbor Freight or Northern Handyman Tools, to look closely at the joint where the hose connects to the rack & pinion. Wipe the excess fluid off first. If the fluid comes out there, then you know what to do... Good luck, and be sure to not wrongly accuse. HTH, s

Definitely leaking from the hose......seeping from where the rubber enters the metal crimp. Tried unsuccessfully to saddle it with a piece of heater hose, some expoy and several clamps, but it's definitely coming from the crimp.
I'm dropping it back off at the shop tomorrow so they can replace the hose. No wrongly accusing...stuff happens especially on an older car. Just feel a lot more confident doing the work myself and actually prefer knowing how to fix this stuff.
It helps !! Thanks for responding !!
Peter

Peter wrote:

I use an 18mm crowfoot for these fittings. You need a good quality one, I've got a Snap-on one and it always does the job. The crowfoot will allow you to add a small extension and then use your ratchet. Or you may find it will work just by putting the ratchet directly onto the crowfoot.
Oh, do not get a standard crowfoot, use the flare nut style.
Like this: http://www.tool-home.com/products/catalog/product_info.php?products_id $99
not like this: http://secure.data-comm.com/RBIS/Detail.bok?no 699
Ian

Howdy Ian..... thanks again for the tip.... after playing with the fitting for two days (off and on). , I brought it into the service shop.... still waiting to get the bill.
With the power steering problem fixed... it might be possible to wait for warmer weather before tearing the van apart. Fortunately it's my spare "learning to fix" vehicle.
Thanks again !!
Peter