Serpentine belt question

Advance lists a first design and a second design serpentine belt for my '92 Grand Am's SOHC Quad Four. Does anyone out there know what distinguishes
first and second designs? Advance doesn't know. Big surprise there.
Silver Surfer wrote:

Look for a part number on current belt and cross reference it.
--

-----------------
www.thesnoman.com

You're kidding, right? You went through this once before and you're asking this question now? Shame on you.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

first
Well, my advice is still the same - remove the belt and take it to the auto parts store and match it up.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
On 1/31/06 6:58 AM, in article e5bcc$43df516f$452896b0$ snipped-for-privacy@ALLTEL.NET,

Or go back to NAPA..
One is probably for a vehicle with air and one without. Your best bet is to get the longest one if you have air. Cheers

'92
Both the first and second generation belts are for the exact same application including air conditioning. The difference is that the second generation belt listed is 1/2" longer than the first generation belt.

Further research shows that the '93 Grand Am used the longer belt (48").
This makes me think that a change might have been made in mid model year. Just don't know how to determine which side of the change my machine is on.

on.
Drive to the auto parts store with your 3/8" ratchet driver in hand and take the belt off in the parking lot. Walk it inside and buy the one that is the same size. Then... write down the size and put it in your glove box. Or... go to the dealer with your VIN and let them tell you what you need.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
On 1/30/06 9:59 PM, in article 90d6c$43ded33e$452896b0$ snipped-for-privacy@ALLTEL.NET,

I put a piece of white duct tape under the hood with part numbers.. Glove boxes just chew up valuables and turn them into balled up napkins and pieces of cardboard ;)